Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How compare together 3 partial genomes?

Hi everybody,

First, I just begin a new post-doc and i never never do some genomic (or transcriptomic) before.
    And in my lab, the bioinformatic guys don't have the time to help me.
    So, i will learn everything by myself...

My problem is I have to compare 3 seaweed genomes (3 strains from the same species).
    They have been sequence by Illumina MiSeq...
    Each are composed by 3000 to 5000 contigs.
    The contigs are between 200 and 63 000-130 000 pb.
    The lenght total are between 19.25 Mbp and 19.45 pb.
    Nobody know the size of the genome !!!
    A old paper said, this species have propably 8 to 10 chromosomes + 1 mitochontriome + 1 chloroplaste
    And, there is not reference genome to help me.

My question is :
    Do you know some solfwares to help me to try to align, to compare those 3 genomes?
    I would like to have a global idea, if I have pratically the complet genome or if we need to make more sequencing run.
    I would like to have an idea, if I have lot of unique element in each one genome... vern diagramm...
    And probably other informations that i don't kown...

I will probably, in the futur weeks ask too for some good annotation genome softwares for eukaryote
    and for SNPs detection, sequence insertion detection...
    and lot of "classic analysis" possible to compare genomes !!!!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH !!!!!

Marie-Mathilde

You can start with a genome alignment (e.g., MAUVE) to see if you can align the large contigs. If you want to use a Venn diagram to show the share/unique, then you probably need to have gene prediction first and run ortholog clustering (e.g., OrthoMCL/TribeMCL).

Comment

One thing you can do to get a general overview is to make pairwise dot-plots of the assemblies, using for example the mummerplot program from the MUMmer package (http://mummer.sourceforge.net/). The output looks something like this (where a diagonal line indicates a stretch of similarity between two chromosomes/contigs/scaffolds of the two different assemblies):

Comment

Thank you !!!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
          by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
          Yesterday, 07:01 AM
        • seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses