Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is 30000 reads too low for mapping (miRNAs)

Hello community,
    I have just received a fastq file of a study i am conducting.
    It had an overall poor quality, and after filetering reads according to quality and size (minQV=17, min length=16), the number of reads decreased from 95428 to 29635. And the quality increase markedly.

My question is if it would be still possible to use those ~30000 readss fro mapping.

Best regards and thanks!
    Sergio

You can use any number of reads to do the mapping. Whether you are going to get anything useful out of the mapping is the real question.

What species do you work with and what kind of analysis (counts/discovery) are you looking to do?

Comment

Hi GenoMax,
      thank you for the quick reply.
      I work with cattle and I would like to do counts analysis.

Comment

Even with just counting I generally wouldn't recommend less than 1M reads per sample. But I'm curious to hear about other people's guidelines for miRNA-seq
        AllSeq - The Sequencing Marketplace
        [email protected]
        www.AllSeq.com

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses