Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making a Blast Script for FASTA files

Hi I am trying to BLAST one large genome file with a specific set of sequences and I cannot figure out what is wrong with my script (I am obviously new to scripting). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is my script:

-in P.reformat.CDS.transcripts.fa -out p.full dbtype=nucl

blastn -query=NGF.fasta -db=p.full -outfmt="6" -out=blast

I want to search the "P.reformat.CDS.transcripts.fa" file for anything similar to the sequences in the "NGF.fasta" file.

Are you referring to a script (that may contain multiple lines of code/options) or a command line where you are providing multiple options?

What you have posted above does not quite look like either (perhaps there is something missing from the copy/paste). Seems like you are creating the database on the first line and the searching on the second?

What seems to be the error (if any) that you are getting? Are you sure the database was created successfully?
    Last edited by GenoMax; 04-22-2013, 11:23 AM.

Comment

In your blast call you do not need the "=" characters

Comment

Hey everyone,

So I successfully made my database in the correct folder, but then when I actually try to run my blast, it isn't working...

#I used the following to make the db

makeblastdb -in supercontigs.fasta.txt -dbtype 'nucl' -out p.full

#I then tried to run this the next step, with and without the '=' sign

query=NGF.fasta -db=p.full -outfmt="6" -out=blast

Any ideas how I can change my second step to successfully run the blast search?

Thanks,
        Kyle

Comment

Making a Blast Script for FASTA files

Have a look at the blast commandline applications manual,

particularly the sample queries in the Cookbook section,

and the use of the 'blastdbcmd' command for checking that
          the database you created is OK, and that your computer knows
          where to find the blast databases.

Comment

It always helps to provide the error message that you get when something "isn't working". The more information you provide, the more likely that someone can help you.

Comment

When I posted the above command to run the blast search I received the following error message.

Command line argument error: Argument "out". File is not accessible: `blast'

Comment

This suggests that you might not have permission to create output files in whatever directory you are running this command in.

Comment

Originally posted by utagenomics View Post
                  When I posted the above command to run the blast search I received the following error message.

Command line argument error: Argument "out". File is not accessible: `blast'
                  Check the command line examples from the link Maria posted in #5.

Please post the entire command line when asking for help. So something like this will work.

Code:
                  blast(n/p/x) -query NGF.fasta -db p.full -outfmt 6 -out blast_output_file
                  What kind (nucleotide/protein/translated) of blast search are you trying to run?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                  • seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                  0 responses