No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Help - SNP Calling in relation to Consensus Sequence Quality

Dear All,

I've posted on this before and attracted no interest at all. So I'd be very grateful to get your opinions. I'm relatively new to NGS sequence analysis so apologies for any naive assumptions.

As I understand (perhaps misunderstand) if a SNP is deemed to be present (after all the applied SNP filters, scores etc) then (most of the time) it will appear in the consensus sequence???

Is it therefore right to think if the consensus sequence is of a 'higher quality', the SNP's too will be of a 'higher quality'??

I'm defining quality of the consensus by the ability to reflect the presence or absence of certain oligonucleotides that we know to be there from PCR studies in the lab.

What I'm doing at the moment is trying to set the parameters correctly (paired end width, etc) in order to reach a consensus sequence that is correct according to what we know in the lab. Then I was planning on calling the SNPs based on the mapped reads we used for the best consensus sequence. Is there any validity at all in this approach, or are the two things SNP calling and consensus sequence production too 'unlinked' to make it invalid????

Many thanks in advance, apologies for any misconceptions

lg36

Most base callers either call "n" at SNP location or pick one or the other (combination of sharpest peak and highest peak as scaled to average intensity for that base). Very few use IUPAC ambiguity codes to convey the potential difference. Quality for those locations, assuming an unbiased amplification level should be approximately 1/2 of the surrounding bases (I believe it's linearly scaled at least). So, if scripts don't already exist, you should be able to compare quality from one base to the neighboring two bases and see if the qual is significantly lower. Then you look at the trace itself (if available) to see if this is a potential SNP.

It's more difficult if it's a "chimera" or extended polymorphism or if there's a "frameshift."

I'd be interested to know if there are any chimera/SNP deconvolver programs or scripts out there for use that I can supply the reference sequence and it can let me know the alternate read. I was staring at at two overlapping reads that were significantly out-of-phase with each other yesterday and made about 50 base calls manually over an hour or two. Hardly the model of efficiency

Comment

Thanks pag for your help. So, is it true to say if I can replicate what we know to be the reality of the consensus sequence (from our lab findings), then the SNPs that are output from the same mapped reads will be more reliable?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses