No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running errors showed by BRIG

Hi all,

I am trying to learn using BRIG for genome comparative study. I followed the manual step by step. However, after submitting my work, BRIG gave an error as follow:

"Rendering CGVIEW image...
    java -Xmx1500m -jar cgview\cgview.jar -f jpg -i C:\NGS\Genomecomparison\Output\scratch\EC338.fa.xml -o C:\NGS\Genomecomparison\Output\EC338.fa.jpg
    Error occurred during initialization of VM
    Could not reserve enough space for object heap
    SYS_ERROR:Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.
    SYS_ERROR:Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.
    Done."

I tried to reinstall the Java program, but it was useless. BTW, my computer has 32G memory.

Is there anyone can tell me how can I solve this problem?

Thank you very much!

Victor

Hi,

Although you have that amount of memory you might want to try making smaller the amount of memory that BRIG is using. This can be done in the "Image render memory" option of the BRIG's image settings.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Hi Sromero,

Thanks for your reply. I already solved my problem. However, I get another problem is that I could not get all rings after running finished, even I tried with the Example data from BRIG tutorial. Do you have any idea about that?

Thank you!

Comment

Hi,

This I have seen that happens when you don' t specify some data from the data pool to every ring. Yo can check this in the "Customize rings" section that follows after you start a BRIG project. By the way, what was your solution for the previous memory problem?.

Comment

The memory problem was due to the version of Java. My computer is win 64bit, and both 32bit and 64 bit version of java have been installed. The program would use 32bit version automatically, which does not support memory > 1.5G (the default setting of BRIG). So, the solution is just uninstallation of 32bit version java.

Anyway, thanks for your helps.

Comment

I found that this is not the reason of my problem. Are there any other possibilities?

Originally posted by sromero View Post
            Hi,

This I have seen that happens when you don' t specify some data from the data pool to every ring. Yo can check this in the "Customize rings" section that follows after you start a BRIG project. By the way, what was your solution for the previous memory problem?.

Comment

BRIG error in multi-fasta tutorial

Hi,
              I have the same problem when I try with multi-fasta example tutorial. I get this error:
              java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Comparison method violates its general contract!
              at java.util.TimSort.mergeHi(TimSort.java:868)
              at java.util.TimSort.mergeAt(TimSort.java:485)
              at java.util.TimSort.mergeCollapse(TimSort.java:410)
              at java.util.TimSort.sort(TimSort.java:214)
              at java.util.TimSort.sort(TimSort.java:173)
              at java.util.Arrays.sort(Arrays.java:659)
              at brig.Main.reverseBlast(Main.java:206)
              at brig.Main.BlastMaster(Main.java:1494)
              at brig.Main.ParseBlast(Main.java:1352)
              at brig.Three2.compute(Three2.java:337)
              at brig.Three2.access$300(Three2.java:33)
              at brig.Three2$4.run(Three2.java:234)

The rings corresponding to this error appear empty. Anyone solved this problem?

Thanks!

Comment

I am receiving the same message. Has anyone solved it yet?

Comment

Originally posted by mcastro View Post
                  Hi,
                  I have the same problem when I try with multi-fasta example tutorial. I get this error:
                  java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Comparison method violates its general contract!
                  at java.util.TimSort.mergeHi(TimSort.java:868)
                  at java.util.TimSort.mergeAt(TimSort.java:485)
                  at java.util.TimSort.mergeCollapse(TimSort.java:410)
                  at java.util.TimSort.sort(TimSort.java:214)
                  at java.util.TimSort.sort(TimSort.java:173)
                  at java.util.Arrays.sort(Arrays.java:659)
                  at brig.Main.reverseBlast(Main.java:206)
                  at brig.Main.BlastMaster(Main.java:1494)
                  at brig.Main.ParseBlast(Main.java:1352)
                  at brig.Three2.compute(Three2.java:337)
                  at brig.Three2.access$300(Three2.java:33)
                  at brig.Three2$4.run(Three2.java:234)

The rings corresponding to this error appear empty. Anyone solved this problem?

Thanks!
                  I was having the same issues, and I think it's do with the version of Java you are running. BRIG was written in Java 1.6, I don't think it works with 1.7 (on my system anyway). On Ubuntu, try
                  Code:
                  java -version
                  to see what version you are running, then you can change to 1.6 with:

Code:
                  sudo update-alternatives --config java
                  type the number corresponding to Java 6, hit enter, and try BRIG again. This worked for me at least.

Comment

Hi all I'm having some issue finding the output image file (.png or .jpg) from BRIG no matter what I run they don't appear in the scratch folder all I get is the .xml and .tab files…

I'm new to BRIG and would be really grateful for some help!

Thanks

Roseina

Comment

I'm not sure why, but there seems to be some incompatibility with the latest java version. Either switch back to an older one (no idea which), or try the developers version (also in the download directory).

Comment

Running BLAST and that's it!

I've previously used BRIG with no problems but this time I click submit and it says Running BLAST..... and that's it. I can leave it for forever and nothing will change. I've tried uninstalling blast+ and reinstalling it, the same with java and no help. Anyone have this problem too and how can I fix it? I don't understand why it's not doing anything!

Thanks,
                        Frances

Comment

Thanks @reubennowell. I was having similar problems with BRIG not displaying rings of BLAST results. Starting BRIG from the command line with Java6 (a.k.a. Java 1.6) fixes my problem.

First navigate into the BRIG-x.xx-dist folder on command line and then execute:

Code:
                          wlud$ /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home/bin/java 
                          -Xmx1500M -jar BRIG.jar
                          BRIG now does what it's supposed to do, which is lovely.

I'm on MacOSX 10.11.5

Comment

Did you solved this?

"I've previously used BRIG with no problems but this time I click submit and it says Running BLAST..... and that's it. I can leave it for forever and nothing will change. I've tried uninstalling blast+ and reinstalling it, the same with java and no help. Anyone have this problem too and how can I fix it? I don't understand why it's not doing anything!"

Thanks!
                            Last edited by melisechaves; 06-19-2020, 11:39 AM.

Comment

A long shot. Blast indexes changed to a new version as of Feb 2020. I am not sure where you are running this but if BRIG has not been updated to account for that, it may be causing this problem.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses