No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best strategy for rRNA from shotgun?

Hi,

I have a 454 metagenomic sample, from which I would like to extract species frequency & diversity, among other things. I am currently using MG-RAST, with GreenGenes as my SSUrRNA reference database, 96% identity cutoff, 100 bp minimum alignment length and a e-value of 10^-5. I was wondering if anyone has some experience with doing this, and whether better parameters can be used to increase sensitivity/specificity of finding SSUrRNA in such a sample?

Thanks,

Iddo
    Last edited by idoerg; 01-18-2011, 07:29 AM.

Originally posted by idoerg View Post
    Hi,

I have a 454 metagenomic sample, from which I would like to extract species frequency & diversity, among other things. I am currently using MG-RAST, with GreenGenes as my SSUrRNA reference database, 96% identity cutoff, 100 bp minimum alignment length and a e-value of 10^-5. I was wondering if anyone has some experience with doing this, and whether better parameters can be used to increase sensitivity/specificity of finding SSUrRNA in such a sample?

Thanks,

Iddo
    Hello,

i'm doing a work similar, i think... but i used 80%identity cutoff, isn't right? I think if I use 96% a lot of sequences will not appear, right? 80% its good? or some will miss too?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckytah View Post
      Hello,

i'm doing a work similar, i think... but i used 80%identity cutoff, isn't right? I think if I use 96% a lot of sequences will not appear, right? 80% its good? or some will miss too?
      80% for SSUrRNA is not specific enough, and basically you will be grouping all bacteria together as a single OTU

Comment

Originally posted by idoerg View Post
        80% for SSUrRNA is not specific enough, and basically you will be grouping all bacteria together as a single OTU

it is not form SSurRNA it's DNA samples, from root-soil, plant. and i need to separate from plant and fungi only.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
        0 responses