Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why i have less than 50% reads surviving in pair after trimming adapters?

Hi All.

I'm using a ramdom amplification protocol and for library preparation I'm using Nextera XT. I'm performing seq step with Miseq reagent kit v3 600 cycles but i only use 200 cycles instead of 300 in order to get better quality score.

After adapters trimmed with Trimmomatic I've got this result:

TrimmomaticPE: Started with arguments:
    -phred33 -trimlog 12143_trimlog.txt 12143_R1.fastq.gz 12143_R2.fastq.gz 12143_FWP.fq.gz 12143_FWUP.fq.gz 12143_REVP.fq.gz 12143_REVUP.fq.gz ILLUMINACLIP:/home/dell/miniconda3/share/trimmomatic/adapters/NexteraPE-PE.fa:2:30:10
    Multiple cores found: Using 4 threads
    Using PrefixPair: 'AGATGTGTATAAGAGACAG' and 'AGATGTGTATAAGAGACAG'
    Using Long Clipping Sequence: 'GTCTCGTGGGCTCGGAGATGTGTATAAGAGACAG'
    Using Long Clipping Sequence: 'TCGTCGGCAGCGTCAGATGTGTATAAGAGACAG'
    Using Long Clipping Sequence: 'CTGTCTCTTATACACATCTCCGAGCCCACGAGAC'
    Using Long Clipping Sequence: 'CTGTCTCTTATACACATCTGACGCTGCCGACGA'
    ILLUMINACLIP: Using 1 prefix pairs, 4 forward/reverse sequences, 0 forward only sequences, 0 reverse only sequences
    Input Read Pairs: 2764988 Both Surviving: 658763 (23.83%) Forward Only Surviving: 2105922 (76.16%) Reverse Only Surviving: 288 (0.01%) Dropped: 15 (0.00%)
    TrimmomaticPE: Completed successfully

FastQC basic statistics for forward before triimmig
    Encoding Sanger / Illumina 1.9
    Total Sequences 2764988
    Sequences flagged as poor quality 0
    Sequence length 201
    %GC 42

FastQC basic statistics for forward paired after triimmig
    Encoding Sanger / Illumina 1.9
    Total Sequences 658763
    Sequences flagged as poor quality 0
    Sequence length 1-201
    %GC 41
    Why I have a very low % of both surviving and why a high value for forward only?

I really appreciate your feedbacks.

thanks

Chris
    Last edited by criscruz; 08-05-2018, 09:31 PM.

Originally posted by criscruz View Post
    <CLIP>
    Why I have a very low % of both surviving and why a high value for forward only?

I really appreciate your feedbacks.

thanks

Chris
    This result indicates that your library included a large percentage of fragments with insert size less than or equal to 200bp in length. The way Trimmomatic paired end trimming operates (by default) when it finds the forward and reverse read overlap 100% (i.e. the insert is shorter than the read length) it keeps read 1 and discards read 2. The result is read 1 (forward) surviving but read 2 (reverse) not. When the overlap is only partial or not at all (i.e. insert is > 200bp) both read 1 and read 2 survive.

Comment

thanks so much kmcarr

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses