No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hedgehog shaped cDNA library

Hi there,

I would like to ask whether someone has ever experienced a similar problem with hexamer primed cDNA libraries?

We have prepared a cDNA library starting with high quality RNA from mice (RIN = 9). In the final QC, we loaded a fraction of the lib onto a fragment analyzer. As you can see in the attached pic, the lib resembles a hedgehog with peaks every 10bp. When we sequenced the lib, we found that the peaks consisted of a decamer (GTATATACTA). Sometime up to 40 of these decamers are present. Thus, it´s not an issue of the fragment analyzer.

We have really no idea what this could be. We see that for different samples, but it´s not consistent. Some days the lib looks perfect, the other day we get this shape.

I´m really looking forward to your opinions!
    Attached Files

This seems to be a rare observation. Providing more info such as workflow, input quantity, kit and posting full sequences of few of those decapolymer reads might give clues on what might be cause.

Comment

We are following exactly NEB kit instructions (NEBNext® Ultra™ RNA Library Prep Kit for Illumina® and NEBNext® Ultra™ Directional RNA Library Prep Kit for Illumina), we start with 500 ng of total RNA. Anyone else seeing this?

Comment

Hi all,

Has anyone found an explanation for this? We are having the same problem and can't seem to find an explanation.

We have Drop-seq libraries that we have prepared with the Nextera XT kit, they all have an exactly similar pattern of hedgehog-like spikes (see attachement).

We have tried to use a new Nextera kit but it does the same effect. The cDNA before library prep did not have these spikes.

I am wondering if it could be a bioanalyzer issue, so I cleaned the electrodes and ran a diagnostics but did not find anything suspicious.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
        Many thanks!
        Vince
        Attached Files

Comment

Usually it either means your library is "bottomed-out" or you have some spike-in controls of fixed length. By "bottomed-out" I mean amplified from a very limited pool of input amplicons.

As to what the spikes actually are, I always suspect they are some sort of adapter-dimer concatamers. But that is just speculation on my part.

--
          Phillip

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
          0 responses