Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MiSeq was designed to have minimum "user serviceable" parts (including software to run it) and this is a side effect of that convenience. In the process of simplifying the user interface they had to change several things. For most users this is the preferred solution so in general it works fine. Only in cases such as what you saw additional work is needed at times.

Since there is no phasing information available for the last base in tag that base is not considered during demultiplexing. One can use "--use-bases-mask" creatively but using a samplesheet with (n-1) bases works.

I assume you are re-running the de-multiplexing with the correct samplesheet and will let us know what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post

I assume you are re-running the de-multiplexing with the correct samplesheet and will let us know what happens.
      Just run bcl2fastq with the full run and correct samplesheet.

The results show the same pattern as before: there is one "missing" sample with (almost) no data (1500-2000 reads playing with the mismatch parameter).

Ok, so I think I'm reassured the MiSeq software is doing a good (or at least decent) job. Now I'm trying to dig into the data to try and see if I can find out what may have happened... (fingers crossed). I'll also ask the sequencing facility about the cluster density: but would it affect one sample only?

Thanks a lot,
      Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by dsobral View Post
        The results show the same pattern as before: there is one "missing" sample with (almost) no data (1500-2000 reads playing with the mismatch parameter).

Ok, so I think I'm reassured the MiSeq software is doing a good (or at least decent) job. Now I'm trying to dig into the data to try and see if I can find out what may have happened... (fingers crossed). I'll also ask the sequencing facility about the cluster density: but would it affect one sample only?

Thanks a lot,
        Daniel
        That would almost certainly indicate that you either have a bad library for that sample (or something happened during pooling that caused that sample to drop out).

What fraction of sequences is ending up in the "Undetermined" file and how many total read you got (that should give us an idea of cluster density)?

Comment

FYI, just a note on what I got so far:
          The indexes from the "missing" sample are "TAGGCATG" and "TAGATCGC" (TAGGCAT-TAGATCG in the sample sheet).

Looking at the most abundant indexes in the unassigned sequences I don't see any remnants of this combination:
          61972 AGGCAGATATCTCG
          38880 AGGCAGATATNTCG
          22973 CGTACTATATCTCG
          15575 GGACTCCTATCTCG
          14984 CGTACTATATNTCG
          12896 TAAGGCGTATCTCG
          11044 TCCTGAGTATCTCG
          10075 GGACTCCTATNTCG

Well, my hopes of recovering the data this way are gone...
          But at least it reassured me that it shouldn't be anything related to basecalling etc...
          And I learned lots of potentially useful things (I hope)!

Comment

That would almost certainly indicate that you either have a bad library for that sample (or something happened during pooling that caused that sample to drop out).
            I'm inclined to think something like that happened. I'll try to see with the sequencing folks...

What fraction of sequences is ending up in the "Undetermined" file and how many total read you got (that should give us an idea of cluster density)?
            The fraction that went to undetermined is roughly 5-10% (depending on mismatches in the index). What led me to think that it might be something in base-calling was it was an amount that fit with the expected size for the sample that is missing. I had 24 samples, so I expected ~5% of sequence for it...

Thanks

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
              by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
              04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
            • seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Today, 08:47 AM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses