Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see you figured it out while I was still typing my response

Thanks so much! I was actually also going to ask about whether betaPrior should be set to false in this case. I do have one more question, though: Is it valid to average over T1:G1 and T1:G2 to claim a main effect for T1, or is this inestimable given the coefficients in the model?

ETA: To clarify, I mean if I wanted to compare T1 to T2, could I average over the interactions similarly to how you showed in your example, or can I only compare T1 to T2 within G1 or G2?
    Last edited by dmosk; 10-24-2014, 11:26 AM. Reason: added clarification

Comment

Yes, this is a valid way to generate the T1 effect, and the fold change should end up being the average of the group2 common scale counts over the group1 counts for tissue T1. However, the dispersion estimates will be more accurate than with a model that doesn't include the patient effect, because in that case, patient specific differences would end up looking like higher dispersion. Another way this could be modeled is with mixed effects models, with the patient as a random effect. But this is how you should set up the contrast for modeling patient as fixed effect.

Comment

design not of full rank

Hi,
        I'm attempting to use the same formula as above (~treatment + treatment:subject + treatment:time) to get within treatment time effects while accounting for subject differences. The problem I've run into is that the formula creates an effect that doesn't exist due to one less subject in the treated group vs control. In edgeR, I can remove the non-existent effect by simply removing the column from the design matrix but I'm not sure how to do that in DESeq2.

Here's the code I use for creating the dds:

Code:
        dds <- DESeqDataSetFromMatrix(countData = countData,
                                      colData = designframe,
                                      formula(~tx+tx:subj+tx:time)
        Is there a way to use model.matrix with the DESeqDataSetFromMatrix function so I can specify the truncated, full rank design?

Can I use ignoreRank for this situation?

Thanks.

Comment

Don't use ignoreRank, that'll lead to trouble.

I answered this in another thread today, should work for you:

Discussion of next-gen sequencing related bioinformatics: resources, algorithms, open source efforts, etc

In this development cycle, I will bump up the modelMatrix argument to higher level functions to make things simpler. I didn't realize until after we'd designed the interface that model.matrix() will create a matrix with a column of 0's.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply.

I see how you use modelMatrix after already having created the dds object. But how can I initially create the dds object if I can't specify the model within it?

When I input:
            Code:
                                          colData = designframe,
                                          formula(~tx+tx:subj+tx:time))
            I get the error:
            "Error in DESeqDataSet(se, design = design, ignoreRank) :
            the model matrix is not full rank, so the model cannot be fit as specified.
            one or more variables or interaction terms in the design formula
            are linear combinations of the others and must be removed"

Thanks!

Comment

You can use any valid design except ~ 1, this design won't be used because you provide the model matrix at each step.
              Last edited by Michael Love; 10-31-2014, 07:00 AM.

Comment

Thanks!

Just ran through the workflow without a hitch.

My next question is how do I specify different contrasts since resultsNames(dds) now only gives me just [1] Intercept?

Comment

hi,

I just tried this out and found a bug, associated with using a design of ~ 1. You can use any valid design other than this one (~ tx), and it should work. I plan to support this functionality at a higher level in the next release, and in the process will add unit tests for situations like this!

Comment

Thanks for the help thus far, Michael.

Is there a way to insert the modified model.matrix into the dds object in order to test contrasts from modelMatrix=m?

In other words, so that when I call resultsNames(dds) I will see all of the interactions terms from ~tx+tx:subj+tx:time instead of just what the formula placeholder (~tx) gives?

Comment

Unfortunately, this trick won't work beyond the simple LRT results table for the current release. Contrasts on user provided model matrices aren't possible with the current release code. Update 2015.01.05 below

It's relatively easy for me to implement, but this has to be done in the development branch. I will likely implement this in Nov or Dec.
                      Last edited by Michael Love; 01-05-2015, 03:40 PM.

Comment

I see.

Is there no way to specify a model matrix within the DESeqDataSetFromMatrix function in lieu of a formula?

Comment

I tried an example, and you can use numeric or list style contrasts after nbinomLRT with a user-supplied model matrix in version 1.6. Like so:

Code:
                          res2 <- results(dds, test="Wald", contrast=c(0,0,1))
                          res2 <- results(dds, test="Wald", contrast=list("conditionB"))

Comment

I'm not sure I understand where the "user specified model matrix" is applied to dds.

I create the dds object with a place-holder formula here:
                            Code:
                                                          colData = designframe,
                                                          formula(~tx))
                            Then create the actual model and supply it for dispersion estimations here:
                            Code:
                            m <- model.matrix(~tx+tx:subj+tx:time)
                            colnames(m)
                            m <- m[,-24] # get rid of the 0's column
                            dds <- estimateSizeFactors(dds)
                            dds <- estimateDispersionsGeneEst(dds, modelMatrix=m)
                            dds <- estimateDispersionsFit(dds)
                            dds <- estimateDispersionsMAP(dds, modelMatrix=m)
                            dds <- nbinomWaldTest(dds)
                            But then inputting:
                            Code:
                            res_ct2.ct1 <- results(dds, test="Wald", contrast=list("txc.time2","txc.time1"))
                            ...isn't valid because resultsNames(dds) doesn't contain interactions from modelMatrix=m, it only has the elements given by the place-holder formula ~tx.

Comment

Ah, now I see the problem. You can't use nbinomWaldTest(dd) in the last step. You need to use all the lines of code from the thread I pointed you to, which was Update 2015.01.05 below

Code:
                              dds <- estimateSizeFactors(dds)
                              dds <- estimateDispersionsGeneEst(dds, modelMatrix=m)
                              dds <- estimateDispersionsFit(dds)
                              dds <- estimateDispersionsMAP(dds, modelMatrix=m)
                              dds <- nbinomLRT(dds, full=m, reduced=m[,-idx])
                              where idx is a numeric vector of columns to remove from the model matrix for the LRT. There is no support with nbinomWaldTest in the current version to supply model matrices, but I've promised to work on this in devel.
                              Last edited by Michael Love; 01-06-2015, 06:30 AM.

Comment

You're right! It appears to have worked now.

I received this message after running the LRT: 32 rows did not converge in beta, labelled in mcols(object)$fullBetaConv. Use larger maxit argument with nbinomLRT.

Does this suggest that I need to rerun it with different nbinomLRT parameters? Not sure what to make of the message.

Thanks.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                                • seqadmin
                                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post seqadmin  
                                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                                0 responses