No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strand bias on estimation of DNA methylation level

Hi Guys,

I was just wondering how you might deal with strand bias in DNA methylation calling using RRBS (reduced representation bisulphite sequencing). I know that strand bias is often an indication of erroneous alignment in NGS, so I am just not quite sure if I should filter out regions with disproportional number of plus and minus strands in estimating DNA methylation levels at CpG sites.

Thanks,

Hui
    Last edited by hui_shi; 06-25-2012, 08:13 AM.

I like this question ... And I am interested !

Comment

It depends on how bad it is. I've seen cases where the bias is more in read#2 versus read#1, which isn't surprising. Regardless, the methylation extractor that I wrote for bison can exclude biased regions according to both read (1 vs. 2) and strand. I would expect at least some of the other methylation extractors (at least those packaged with programs that will make the methylation bias graphs as well) to have similar functionality.
      Last edited by dpryan; 04-22-2014, 02:36 PM. Reason: swapped the reads!

Comment

Originally posted by dpryan View Post
        It depends on how bad it is. I've seen cases where the bias is more in read#2 versus read#1, which isn't surprising.
        I guess you talk about pair end sequencing, we are talking about a atrand bias, a difference of methylation between FORWARD and REVERSE strand ...

Comment

Originally posted by raphael123 View Post
          I guess you talk about pair end sequencing, we are talking about a atrand bias, a difference of methylation between FORWARD and REVERSE strand ...
          I understand that. I mentioned that due to it being the biggest source of bias. I've only ever seen very small differences due to strand, but, as I mentioned, programs like the bison_methylation_extractor can trivially deal with cases of strand-bias in methylation. Presumably at least some others can as well.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
            by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
            04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
          • seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 11:49 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
          0 responses