No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demultiplexing and CASAVA 1.7

Hello,
    I am looking for young bioinformatics. I need tools to perform demultiplexing
    tool (script) to sequences from the GAIIx before CASAVA (1.7). We do not use the index provided by Illumina. Thank you in advance for your help

Originally posted by tonio100680 View Post
    Hello,
    I am looking for young bioinformatics. I need tools to perform demultiplexing
    tool (script) to sequences from the GAIIx before CASAVA (1.7). We do not use the index provided by Illumina. Thank you in advance for your help
    If you don't use an index read, CASAVA is of no use for demultiplexing.
    Have a look at 'sabre' (https://github.com/ucdavis-bioinformatics/sabre) or FastX-Toolkit (http://hannonlab.cshl.edu/fastx_tool...splitter_usage) amongst others.

hth, Sven

Comment

You could try Novobarcode. It's included in download of Novoalign at www.novocraft.com. Free to use, no license is required.

Colin

Comment

Thank you for the help !

After converting my files are formatted QSEQ. To use Novobarcode must convert them FASTQ. If so have you a simple solution?

Comment

You might want to read the following thread as a starting point,http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1801

hth, Sven

Comment

I really am a bioinformatics novice! I want a simple converter... It's panic. I'm harassed by biologists

Comment

'bfast', as mentioned in the thread, has its own converter,
              BFAST facilitates the fast and accurate mapping of short reads to reference sequences, where mapping billions of short reads with variants is of…

Download the archive, untar it, and look in the 'scripts' directory, there you'll find a perl script called 'ill2fastq.pl'. I never used it, but it should do the job.
              There are probably a lot more tools... maybe you could have a look at GALAXY, but I am not sure if they provide qseq-to-fastq conversion.

When I read your original post again, it seems you want to use CASAVA 1.7 for mapping? Be aware that 1.7 needs qseq format for input files, however the fresh 1.8 takes fastq as input ...

hth, Sven

Comment

Thank you for the help !

After converting my files are formatted QSEQ. To use Novobarcode must convert them FASTQ. If so have you a simple solution?
                Recent versions of Novoalign will process qseq files. The latest version will accept 3 read files with index tag in it's own read file. Output is then qseq.

Earlier version could only accept 2 qseq files and would write demuxed files in fastq format. In this case you run novobarcode twice, once for read1 and index read then again for read2 and the index read. You can still do this with latest version if you wnat qseq to fastq conversion.

Colin

Comment

That's right, I want to use CASAVA 1.7 because the 1.8 is not available in France...
                  I can not use novobarcode because the output format is not compatible with the input format CASAVA so I'm looking for an alternative demultiplexer "simply" ...

Comment

CASAVA 1.8 is already available at iCom; if you have your tags directly attached to your (first) read, you'll probably need to write your own demultiplexer to write qseq again (shouldn't be too hard if know someone familiar with e.g. perl).

Or a simple one-liner, assuming the barcode sequence 'ACGTACGT' (not removing it),
                    Code:
                    perl -lane 'print if($F[8]=~/^ACGTACGT/)' SampleABC_qseq.txt > SampleA_NewQseq.txt
                    You could then use the 'qseq-mask' (USE_BASES) option of GERALD to skip these bases.

Or just a starting point (not tested thoroughly), a simple script looking for all seqs starting with $barcode and removing it from seq and quals:
                    Code:
                    #!/usr/local/bin/perl

use warnings;
                    use strict;

my $barcode = shift;
                    my $length  = length($barcode);
                    my @line;
                    my ($s,$q);

while (<>) {

chomp;
                        @line=split;
                        next unless ($line[8]=~/^$barcode/o);

$s=substr($line[8],0+$length);
                        $q=substr($line[9],0+$length);

print join("\t", @line[0..7]), "\t$s\t$q\t$line[10]\n";     
                    }
                    start with the barcode sequence as the first argument and a bunch of qseq files as the following arguments. Redirect output to a new file if happy; the above script just dumps to the terminal.

E.g.
                    Code:
                    scriptName.pl ACGTACG *qseq.txt > newQseqFile_ACGTACG.txt
                    hth, Sven
                    Last edited by sklages; 06-08-2011, 01:09 AM.

Comment

btw, as of CASAVA version 1.8 there is a script called "configureQseqToFastq.pl" to convert a whole folder of qseqs to fastq.

Comment

That's right, I want to use CASAVA 1.7 because the 1.8 is not available in France...
                        I can not use novobarcode because the output format is not compatible with the input format CASAVA so I'm looking for an alternative demultiplexer "simply" ...
                        Let me look to see if I can get novobarcode to do qseq in & out when index tag is embedded in the read.

Novobarcode does allow some mismatches in the index tag so it may classify more reads than a perl script.
                        Last edited by sparks; 06-09-2011, 12:33 AM.

Comment

I've modded novobarcode so that it can write out QSEQ when input is in QSEQ. If you'd like to try it send an email to support (at) novocraft ....
                          Last edited by sparks; 06-09-2011, 12:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sklages View Post
                            If you don't use an index read, CASAVA is of no use for demultiplexing.
                            Have a look at 'sabre' (https://github.com/ucdavis-bioinformatics/sabre) or FastX-Toolkit (http://hannonlab.cshl.edu/fastx_tool...splitter_usage) amongst others.

hth, Sven

We actually use Casava v.17 to demultiplex our in-house designed barcodes routinely. We don't use the Illumina index read kit, we just set out detection cycles out past the barcode and use Casava to demultiplex the barcode. It's just a matter of properly formatting the sample sheet. Casava will make you a folder for each barcode and demultiplex the _qseq.txt files to each folder, then you can run Gerald to create the .fastq

Take a look a the demultiplex.pl script in Casava 1.7 and there is an example of the sample sheet format to use on pg 14 in the manual.
                            Christine Brennan
                            UM DNA Sequencing Core
                            Ann Arbor, MI 48109

[email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by cbrennan View Post
                              We actually use Casava v.17 to demultiplex our in-house designed barcodes routinely. We don't use the Illumina index read kit, we just set out detection cycles out past the barcode and use Casava to demultiplex the barcode. It's just a matter of properly formatting the sample sheet. Casava will make you a folder for each barcode and demultiplex the _qseq.txt files to each folder, then you can run Gerald to create the .fastq

Take a look a the demultiplex.pl script in Casava 1.7 and there is an example of the sample sheet format to use on pg 14 in the manual.
                              ah, ok. But actually you are using an index .. I interpreted that the OP had indices as part of the construct to be sequenced, just like nimblegen adaptors or so.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses