Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nature Methods AOP: CREST maps somatic structural variation in cancer genomes...

Yet another SV detection program. Of course, this one claims to be the best.

I think this may be best utilized in conjunction with algorithms that utilize discordant paired reads like my own BreakWay or Breakdancer or other algorithms like BreakSeq. Also, with Pindel. They do seem to make a case that the best results are obtained by looking for events that are identified by multiple methods.

I do want to point out also that some breakpoints have been identified to the nucleotide level in next gen data in the past. I think the statement about it in the paper is a bit misleading, actually, but perhaps that's true for the couple of examples they put. Still, it's not the first time it's been done nor the only program capable of it (though CREST may be the best at it, and they make a strong case for that).

Regardless, an interesting paper and yet another tool to implement in the murky world of SV detection!
    Mendelian Disorder: A blogshare of random useful information for general public consumption. [Blog]
    Breakway: A Program to Identify Structural Variations in Genomic Data [Website] [Forum Post]
    Projects: U87MG whole genome sequence [Website] [Paper]

Have you used it on your own data at all?

After almost a full day of installiing and getting all the dependencies running I was able to use their sample files, but when I tried to generate the inputs with extractSClip.pl i came back the next morning with a nice
    [bam_header_read] EOF marker is absent. The input is probably truncated.
    [bam_header_read] invalid BAM binary header (this is not a BAM file).

but the header looked fine to me:
    aquinom@ubuntu:~/Crest$ samtools view -H ~/.gvfs/workorders\ on\ kcifs03/0135/seqdata/SS6002602/Assembly/genome/bam/SS6002602.bam
    @HD VN:1.0 SO:coordinate
    @PG ID:CASAVA VN:CASAVA-1.8.0a19 CL:/illumina/development/casava/CASAVA-1.8.0a19_NMNM_BAMFIX/bin/configureBuild.pl --targets all bam --inSampleDir=../Aligned/B0205ACXX/Sample_SS6002602 --outDir=/isilon/RUO/Projects/Knome/SS6002602/Assembly --samtoolsRefFile=/isilon/Genomes/FASTA_UCSC/HumanNCBI37_UCSC/HumanNCBI37_UCSC_XY.fa --jobsLimit=40 --variantsPrintUsedAlleleCounts --variantsWriteRealigned --sortKeepAllReads --bamChangeChromLabels=OFF --sgeQueue=all.q --tempDir=/state/partition1
    @SQ SN:chr1 LN:249250621
    @SQ SN:chr2 LN:243199373
    @SQ SN:chr3 LN:198022430
    @SQ SN:chr4 LN:191154276
    @SQ SN:chr5 LN:180915260
    @SQ SN:chr6 LN:171115067
    @SQ SN:chr7 LN:159138663
    @SQ SN:chrX LN:155270560
    @SQ SN:chr8 LN:146364022
    @SQ SN:chr9 LN:141213431
    @SQ SN:chr10 LN:135534747
    @SQ SN:chr11 LN:135006516
    @SQ SN:chr12 LN:133851895
    @SQ SN:chr13 LN:115169878
    @SQ SN:chr14 LN:107349540
    @SQ SN:chr15 LN:102531392
    @SQ SN:chr16 LN:90354753
    @SQ SN:chr17 LN:81195210
    @SQ SN:chr18 LN:78077248
    @SQ SN:chr20 LN:63025520
    @SQ SN:chrY LN:59373566
    @SQ SN:chr19 LN:59128983
    @SQ SN:chr22 LN:51304566
    @SQ SN:chr21 LN:48129895
    @SQ SN:chrM LN:16571

Has anyone had any luck with this?

Comment

I've run CREST successfully before, and the only difference I can see is that my bam also had a read group:
      @RG ID:1 PL:illumina PU:1 LB:1 SM:Sample_11p

Not sure if that's the issue, but...
      picard AddOrReplaceReadGroups is a good tool for adding this.

Comment

Thanks, I'll try that if I get the error again. Did it take you a very long time to run the ./extractSClip.pl on your bams?

Comment

No not long - about 1 hr for a 7Gb bam.

Comment

Heh WGS gives 180-200G bams, so I guess ~24h but if I run in parallel maybe ~6 on a quad core. Alas, I'm using bams that were aligned with CASAVA and thus I don't think they have any soft-clipped reads...are those only available if a genome is aligned with bwa sampe?

Comment

Yeah I was using bwa sampe on whole exome samples. Not sure about CASAVA and soft clipping.

Comment

Is there a readme that explains how to read the alignment created by bam2html? I couldn't find one on their website or within the README that comes with the software.

Comment

Has anyone written scripts to convert CREST output to a format that can be visualized in Circos or another SV viewer?
                  What tools are people using to visualize the SVs?
                  Thanks
                  -Ben
                  Last edited by ben.weisburd; 04-11-2012, 12:51 AM.

Comment

I'm running CREST on exome seq samples.
                    On 8 out of the approx. 50 samples, the tool hangs after partially running through the step where it prints:

Output is in /tmp/486391.1.all.q/6IGDfMyBGM/tiw652Qy6Q.fa.clip.fa.psl
                    21 38520525 - 1
                    Output is in /tmp/486391.1.all.q/6IGDfMyBGM/oZqu2DckND.fa.clip.fa.psl
                    GL000211.1 156726 + 1
                    Output is in /tmp/486391.1.all.q/6IGDfMyBGM/m9Sp2Shk_H.fa.clip.fa.psl
                    7 2768145 - 3
                    Output is in /tmp/486391.1.all.q/6IGDfMyBGM/_eFzYi5xLz.fa.cap.contigs.clip.fa.psl

After that it doesn't produce any more output and doesn't terminate.
                    It doesn't ever get to the part where it says "SV filter starting...."

This makes the tool unusable for these samples, and I can't see what differentiates these samples from my other samples where CREST completes normally and outputs the table of structural variants.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                    • seqadmin
                      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                    0 responses