Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BFAST and read error correction (with SAET or similar tool)

Hi all,

According BFAST paper(s), this tool is capable of managing read errors in color space of SOLiD data.

Does anybody knows if it is also convenient to clean/correct/purge raw data with accuracy enhancement tools (like SAET) prior to use BFAST? Or maybe is it not wise to do it in order to not alter the BFAST behavior?

I've read that it is highly convenient to use SAET (or similar tool) to improve the quality of data prior to use align/assembly tools, but maybe this recommendation is prior to development of BFAST.

Any experience?

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by javijevi View Post
    Hi all,

According BFAST paper(s), this tool is capable of managing read errors in color space of SOLiD data.

Does anybody knows if it is also convenient to clean/correct/purge raw data with accuracy enhancement tools (like SAET) prior to use BFAST? Or maybe is it not wise to do it in order to not alter the BFAST behavior?

I've read that it is highly convenient to use SAET (or similar tool) to improve the quality of data prior to use align/assembly tools, but maybe this recommendation is prior to development of BFAST.

Any experience?

Thanks in advance.
    I do not know how SAET works. I would recommend not using SAET and letting BFAST (I am the author) identify color errors versus variants. If you have a recent run with a known reference you can try with and without SAET to assess the difference in color/base error rates after alignment with BFAST. Please PM me if this is the case, since I would interested in the results.

Nils
    Last edited by nilshomer; 01-27-2010, 11:13 AM.

Comment

I just looked at an old DH10B run (2008) and found that the the mapping rate (% of bases mapped) went from 55% to 70% but at the cost of an increased mismatch rate and identified color error rate (even at higher mapping qualities). They (ABI) are recommending to only use this with smaller genomes (less than 200Mb). I will still test it out with skepticism.

Comment

Originally posted by nilshomer View Post
        I just looked at an old DH10B run (2008) and found that the the mapping rate (% of bases mapped) went from 55% to 70% but at the cost of an increased mismatch rate and identified color error rate (even at higher mapping qualities). They (ABI) are recommending to only use this with smaller genomes (less than 200Mb). I will still test it out with skepticism.
        Do you mean SAET improved the percentage of bases mapped by BFAST from 55 to 70%? Or are they using another alignment other than BFAST?

Comment

Originally posted by javijevi View Post
          Do you mean SAET improved the percentage of bases mapped by BFAST from 55 to 70%? Or are they using another alignment other than BFAST?
          I used SAET just now to increase the percentage of bases aligned with BFAST from 55% to 70% at the cost of noise. This was on very old and thus noisy data set so you may get different results. Also, I did not check how this affected detection of polymorphisms (did it correct away the SNPs?). Hence I would not recommend using it until a more conclusive study is performed rather than my one-time anecdotal experience.

"They" (ABI) use mapreads in Bioscope, whereas I use(d) BFAST.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
          0 responses