No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• more 'C's than 'G's!!

Dear Forum,

Does anyone have information about a G vs C bias? I am analysing 1000 genomes data based on raw fastq files ~5Gb in size. For other reasons I counted the occurrence of each base and found, to my surprise, that 'C's outnumber 'G's by about 10% (though the size of the bias varies between sequencing centres). To guard against artefacts, I then counted G-C frequencies for each base position in each read (I only look at forward runs, so have bases 1 to 100). I see that the G vs C bias varies with base number, being very variable for the first and last 5 bases and otherwise generally rising (= more 'C's) along the read.

Is this a well-known phenomenon? Any thoughts gratefully received!

Cheers
    Bill

Sounds like a calibration problem. I have not seen this in our data.

The variability at the ends, though, I have seen. This is sometimes due to adapter contamination, and sometimes due to the fact that base-calling uses information about adjacent bases, which is absent at the tips.
    Last edited by Brian Bushnell; 03-12-2014, 09:37 AM.

Comment

have you looked specifically at C / G imbalance?

Dear Brian,

Thanks. The pattern seems remarkably pervasive - I have looked at data from SC, BGI and BCM (all show quite strongly in ~75 reads, each 5Gb) and WUGSC (less strong effect). There does also seem somewhat of a population effect, though I'd need to look at more samples to be sure. If you take an index 2*(C - G) / (C + G), where C and G are the numbers of 'C's and 'G's, this typically rises from 0.08 to o.12 between based 5 and 95.

Cheers
      Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Amos View Post
        I then counted G-C frequencies for each base position in each read (I only look at forward runs, so have bases 1 to 100).
        Hi- Isn't this the information reported by FastQC, module "Per base sequence content"?

I looked at the FastQC report for some data we have (ChIP-Seq, FAIRE-Seq) and I don't see much difference between C and G after the first 5-10bp. Although the first bases are indeed very biased but I think this is due to the non-so-random fragmentation.
        Attached Files

Comment

FastQC

Yes, FastQC does present the relevant data, though not as a ratio / difference. Slight (G 5% down, C 5% up) might not show up very clearly, either in this plot or, of course, as GC content, particularly if the first few bases are wayward. I guess this sort of bias 'comes out in the wash' when the reads are aligned, but I'm trying to analyse data without any of the biases that alignment can introduce!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
          0 responses