No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't know if I'm right

Hi everyone,

we have just sequenced a whole trancriptome of a conifer de novo and now it is my challenge to find candidate loci in there. I want to perform a stand alone blast search. I'm so new to the subject that I don't even have a concrete question.

Anyway - hello to all!

Well, if you are new to sequencing then I suspect that you do not have access to a stand-alone blast server. While it is fairly easy to set one up, you may wish to just try Blasting several of your transcriptomes to a public blast server (e.g., America's http://blast.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/ or Europe's EMBL http://dove.embl-heidelberg.de/Blast2/ ... and others)

Actually for a one-off project I would suggest just using a public resource instead of your own server unless you have special requirements (e.g., Blasting against a unusual database). The public resource may be slower than your own server but it will not be that much slower and will be much easier to use.

Comment

Thanks for that quick comment.
      Our transcriptome has 500 000bp, the LargeContig FASTA-File has 7.5MB. I want to find protein coding sequences in there. The plan is to start with proteins from Arabidopsis and Rice. Therefore I think I need tblastn. I guess that can't be done online. I had the idea to format my FASTA-file to a database and blast the know proteins of the plants against it.

At the moment I'm trying to install the executables available at the NCBI site.

Comment

Sorry, I meant 500 000 reads (454)

Comment

tblastn can be run on-line as well as blastx. To do what I suggested you would use blastx -- search the rice and arabidopsis databases with your nucleotide 454 sequences, translated. Your idea of using tblastn to look through your translated 454 sequences with the rice/arabidopsis proteins is also good.

With 500 000 reads it is probably is better to install your own local blast. As I said it is easy enough to do, at least from the command line. Spot checking your results with the results you can get from a public site is recommended. Depending on the power of your computer the blasting can take many hours or days. I suggest reducing your data set to 5000 or so reads for testing purposes before you try all 500 000.

You may also wish to consider a program that can take splicing into account (e.g., splign).

If you do come up with a concrete question then post on SeqAnswers. There are many knowledgeable people here.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
            by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
            04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
          • seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 11:49 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
          0 responses