Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does inner distances(--mate-inner-dist and --mate-std-dev) work in tophat?

I am confused about the inner distance setting. From the manual file, it should be set to (fragementlength-2*readslength , eg: 300-2*50=100). But if the distance counting is based on genome location, then the distance between the pairs should be (fragementlength-2*readslength+inserted_introns_length). Does anybody know how tophat manage the intron insertion?

I think that the mate inner distances is set in order to detect whether the mates are in different exons etc. That is, if the distance is much larger/smaller than the 200 (300-2*50) that the software has been told to expect, something interesting might be going on.

Comment

I'm trying different settings of inner distance for my experiments. Anybody out there with the answer as to which value is good?

Comment

Hi snp_analyser. I'm afraid there is no good value - the inner distances depend on the sizes of your fragments and the lengths of your reads, which are experiment specific.

We typically use a tool like Bowtie to help us find our fragment sizes empirically. We run a paired-end alignment with Bowtie, using default parameters for -I and -X. We then examine the output to see, in general, how far apart the reads in a pair as aligned. This indicates the mate inner distance.

In terms of terminology, the "gap" or "inner distance" is the distance between the aligned reads (not counting the reads themselves). The "insert size", on the other hand, includes the reads themselves, so can be thought of as the "fragment size".

If you look at Bowtie output, the alignment position of a read is the position of the first base in the read (from the perspective of the forward reference strand). This means that if you subtract the alignment positions of the two reads in a pair, the result is actually "inner distance" + "read length". So you will need to subtract the read length to get the inner distance.

You should probably write (or find) a script to do this for you to ensure you examine enough pairs to get a representative feel for the value. Our data typically shows a normally distributed inner distance.

Comment

Thanks for the detailed reply!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
          • seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses