Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a difference between a .sam produced by tophat2 and bowtie2?

I hope this makes sense,

So I have a perl script that is written to take the accepted_hits.bam file from tophat2, in sam format as an input. Unlike the original paper, I need the unmapped reads as a fastq file so I'm using bowtie2 to map, as it has this option also it outputs mapped results as a sam file so I don't need to convert it. My question is do these files have the same columns or not? It would seem fruitless to try this if tophat2 and bowtie2 output different columns etc.

Thanks

Edit. I don't know how I missed in the tophat manual that you can use the --no-convert-bam to output the result as sam, which means I don't need to use bowtie2 instead
    Last edited by meabh; 05-24-2016, 06:51 AM. Reason: I didn't realise you could output sam file from tophat2 which makes the question redundant

Hi meabh,

First, the main difference is that TopHat2 is designed to detect and report spliced reads. Whenever there is s a read spanning two exons, you'll see that with TopHat2 alignment. The aligner flags that read in a certain way (e.g. adding the XS attribute). Also the NH attribute (number if hits per read) is set in TopHat2 but not in Bowtie2. Nevertheless, if a read origins from within an exon the two programs will align it to the same location.

In order to convert a bam file into a sam file you can just use samtools view. And to convert a bam file into a fastq file, you can use the Tophat2 script bam2fastx.

Cheers,

Michael

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
    • seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
    0 responses