No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bioanalyzers: High 28S rRNA Peak

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has ever seen a Eukaryote RNA Nano BioAnalyzer with an extremely large 28S peak. The 28S reached 70 fluorescent units and the 18S reached about 15, which resulted in an rRNA ratio for 28s/18s of 8.0. No that is that not the RIN value, that is the value for the rRNA ratio. I have run hundreds of BioAnalyzer chips myself and seen a ton more, but I have never seen ratios this high. Has anyone else ever seen this?

This could just be me being super skeptical, but I don't know if I want to use these samples to make libraries even though everything else about the traces look perfect. Any advice/comments would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Hi all

I have the very same problem with plant RNA. The 28s/18s ratio is no that high but I have consistently ratios of 3 to 4. Traces looks ok, even leaves samples(BR3-F), with chloroplast rRNA peaks don´t seem to be degraded, RIN values are ok. But I can´t understand the high 28s intensity.

Attached are traces from xylem (BR3-X) and leaves (BR3-F).

I hope to have some help form the experts.
    Attached Files

Comment

I would speculated that in some cases the nuclear (25S) rRNA is co-migrating with the large chloroplast (23S) rRNA. However, one would expect to see either both 18S (nuclear) and 16S (chloroplast) or a combination peak there as well. In some cases you do. But in other cases you don't.
      --
      Phillip

Comment

Thanks for your answer, Philip

Do you have any experience with degradome sequencing? I´m afraid to use this RNA samples. I also tried to use Qiagen columns at the end of my CTAB/BME extraction but I got low 260/230 ratio and I´m afraid to lose important RNAs for degradome sequencing due to size exclusion. What do you think about it?

PS: Send the traces for samples extracted with qiagen columns.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mpappas View Post
          Thanks for your answer, Philip

Do you have any experience with degradome sequencing? I´m afraid to use this RNA samples. I also tried to use Qiagen columns at the end of my CTAB/BME extraction but I got low 260/230 ratio and I´m afraid to lose important RNAs for degradome sequencing due to size exclusion. What do you think about it?

PS: Send the traces for samples extracted with qiagen columns.
          Why do you think that a low 260/230 ratio is an issue? Please be specific -- what contaminating solute that absorbs at 230 nm will interfere with downstream steps?

--
          Phillip

Comment

I´m just trying to attend all the requirements the company that will prepare the degradome library and sequence it is asking. But, as I mentioned, I´m afraid of using the cloumn and exclude important cleaved RNA for degradome data. That´s why I prefer to use CTAB protocol with isopropanol precipitation. In this case, baseline seemed just a little higher but I think that all the DNA present can higly contribute to that.

Do you understand my point? Is it worth using the columns if I seem to loose lots of information and besides that I have a worse 260/230 ratio? I´m betting I shouldn´t use it.

Marília

Comment

Originally posted by mpappas View Post
              I´m just trying to attend all the requirements the company that will prepare the degradome library and sequence it is asking. But, as I mentioned, I´m afraid of using the cloumn and exclude important cleaved RNA for degradome data. That´s why I prefer to use CTAB protocol with isopropanol precipitation. In this case, baseline seemed just a little higher but I think that all the DNA present can higly contribute to that.

Do you understand my point? Is it worth using the columns if I seem to loose lots of information and besides that I have a worse 260/230 ratio? I´m betting I shouldn´t use it.

Marília
              You mean that you want sequence from very short RNA fragments in your sample? If so, most library construction protocols are not going to discard the shorter fragments anyway, using Ampure low-size cut-off purifications after various steps.

--
              Phillip

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
              • seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses