No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gviz - adjust track height

Dear all,

I have a probably trivial problem where I need a hint into the right direction:

I am trying to visualize RNA-seq data in Gviz (nice!). I have two bam files loaded as AlignmentsTrack (just coverage and sashimi, no reads). Individually, they fill the square plotting area completey (the Y-axis is scaled to fill all available space). I can also add GenomeAxisTrack and a BioMartGeneRegionTrack, which reduces the height accordingly. But when I add the second AlignmentsTrack, the plot no longer scales in y-direction and I get a very narrow band in the middle of my square plotting area (maybe 25% of the available space).

How can I scale the two AlignmentsTracks to use more y-space in the plotting area? The parameters "sizes" or any type of "height" parameter just affects the ratio within the band, but not the overall size.

Code:
    gTrack<-GenomeAxisTrack()
    alTrack<-AlignmentsTrack(range='WT.bam',genome='hg19', name='Wildtype', chromosome='chr8',ispaired=T)
    alTrack2<-AlignmentsTrack(range='Mut.bam',genome='hg19', name='Mutant', chromosome='chr8',ispaired=T)
    bmt<-BiomartGeneRegionTrack(genome='hg19',chromosome='chr8',start=afrom,end=ato,filter=list(with_ox_refseq_mrna=T),stacking='squish',showExonId=F)
    plotTracks(c(gTrack,bmt,alTrack,alTrack2),from=afrom,to=ato,type=c('coverage','sashimi'))

Did you have the same problem as I'm experiencing here? If so, did you ever find a solution?

Edit: If that was your problem, the solution is in the thread I linked to
    Last edited by stianlagstad; 04-20-2016, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Hi,

thanks for pointing me to your thread. Meanwhile, I have given up on this problem, but although my plot is slightly different, I'll give the max.height parameter a try.

Markus

Comment

If you provide a runnable code example (not dependent on your own data sets), it will be much easier to understand what the problem is See some tips for how to do that here: How to create a Minimal, Complete, and Verifiable example

Comment

You could also use the gapped.bam from the Gviz sample data twice:
          bamFile<-system.file("extdata/gapped.bam",package="Gviz")
          gTrack<-GenomeAxisTrack()
          alTrack<-AlignmentsTrack(range=bamFile,genome='hg19', name='Wildtype', chromosome='chr12',ispaired=T)
          alTrack2<-AlignmentsTrack(range=bamFile,genome='hg19', name='Mutant', chromosome='chr12',ispaired=T)
          plotTracks(c(gTrack,alTrack,alTrack2),from=2965000,to=3000000,type=c('coverage','sashimi'))
          Setting the min.height parameter did not change it, unfortunately.

Comment

Executable code - great! So this code:

Code:
            bamFile <- system.file(
              "extdata/gapped.bam",
              package = "Gviz")
            gTrack <- GenomeAxisTrack()
            alTrack<- AlignmentsTrack(
              range = bamFile,
              genome = 'hg19',
              name = 'Wildtype',
              chromosome = 'chr12',
              ispaired = T)
            alTrack2 <- AlignmentsTrack(
              range = bamFile,
              genome = 'hg19',
              name = 'Mutant',
              chromosome = 'chr12',
              ispaired = T)
            plotTracks(
              c(gTrack, alTrack, alTrack2),
              from = 2965000,
              to = 3000000,
              type = c('coverage', 'sashimi'))
            Produces this plot for me:

To me it looks like the available y-space is used. What exactly is the problem?

Comment

I attached what it produces on my system. I saved it as pdf, though, because that format is easiest to use in Illustrator.
              Code:
              pdf('test.pdf')
              plotTracks(
                from = 2965000,
                to = 3000000,
              dev.off()
              EDIT: png gives the same
              Attached Files
              Last edited by abisko00; 04-21-2016, 01:16 AM. Reason: more info

Comment

I see. I'm also experiencing these issues when exporting Gviz plots to pdf. Maybe you could try using svg instead? I don't know whether this is a problem with Gviz or with the pdf device, but you could ask a question over at the Bioconductor support site. The Gviz author, Florian Hahne, is responsive to questions there.

Comment

How did you produce your image? I am relatively new to R and completely autodidactic. Maybe I miss a very simple setting. But thanks anyway!

Comment

If you mean the plot in my post above, I exported it as a png image from RStudio. But you could also do this:

Code:
                    png(
                      'test.png',
                      width = 600,
                      height = 300)
                    plotTracks(
                      from = 2965000,
                      to = 3000000,
                    dev.off()
                    Or you could switch png with svg, pdf or something else. A list of available plotting devices can be found here.

Comment

Solved

Normally, I hate these kind of solutions, because you learn nothing from them, but after you've shown that the code is working, I did a clean install of R and Gviz and here we go!

Thanks!
                      Attached Files

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                      • seqadmin
                        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post seqadmin  
                      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                      0 responses