No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• population software

I want to ask computation biology expert about genetic population software:
    I want to ask about population genetics software , what is the data input file is common for these software ???

Why the big font?

I think GenPop's file format is quite widely used. There is a whole module in Biopython for this kind of thing, see http://biopython.org/wiki/PopGen

Comment

Thanks maubp for ur answer...I want to create to do small database using Access (microsoft office ) that have the same function of genetic population softwares that have common input data , but not sure if this type of work will work or not.

Comment

I doubt using Microsoft Access is a good idea. For a start it is OS specific (Windows only, not even part of Microsoft Office for Mac), so you won't be able to use it with Linux and most bioinformatics tools are focused on Linux.
        Last edited by maubp; 02-24-2012, 09:28 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

if it were only that easy..

one of the much frustrating things about pop gen work is the fact that there is no consensus re: input file format.

Anyway, what types of analyses are you thinking about? What is the raw data (e.g. SNP's, sequence data, microsatellites, AFLP's, etc)? What programs are you interested in using?

P.S. I'll second Peters recommendation about staying away from Access.

Comment

why I have to be staying away of Access ,, I'm familiar with this program and I think it's suitable for every thing.

Comment

I disagree with you strongly, Microsoft Acess is NOT suitable for everything!

Apart from the fact it only works on Windows, it does not scale well with very large datasets, and as I recall does not work so well with multiple concurrent access. Microsoft themselves don't try to sell it as an "industrial strength" database. I've used Acess myself in the past, and it does have some strengths - if it is what you know and good enough, maybe it will suffice for you in the short term..

Comment

however tempting a Microsoft vs. the world flameware is, maybe lillimoon can provide just a little more detail about what he/she wants to do.

Specifically, what types of analyses are you thinking about? What is the raw data (e.g. SNP's, sequence data, microsatellites, AFLP's, etc)? What programs are you interested in using?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                • seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                0 responses