Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how critical is the filtering of potential PCR duplicates?

Hello,

I don't really have a good appreciation for how critical it is to remove potential PCR duplicates from the alignments (either via samtools rmdup or picard). It would appear (based on posts in this forum and pipelines that I have found online) that many ??? do not worry about this issue, am I wrong ? It did not seem to affect my data very much but I would like to know how important an issue this is.

Thank you !!!!

Originally posted by julien View Post
    Hello,

I don't really have a good appreciation for how critical it is to remove potential PCR duplicates from the alignments (either via samtools rmdup or picard). It would appear (based on posts in this forum and pipelines that I have found online) that many ??? do not worry about this issue, am I wrong ? It did not seem to affect my data very much but I would like to know how important an issue this is.

Thank you !!!!
    Most whole-genome human resequencing papers try to detect PCR duplicates and I find that it is extremely important to remove them (or flag them), especially when dealing with low-complexity libraries. The latter can happen with small amounts of input DNA or re-using the same library. When searching for variants, it is assumed that each read is conditionally independent given the underlying DNA sequence (i.e. not the same DNA fragment read twice).

Comment

Hi nilshomer, sorry for getting back to this thread, but do you know if Picard is able to remove duplicates from single-reads? Samtools manual does not recommend it but I am not sure if it is a matter of implementation or a real technical issue on the single read part which I don't get.

best

Comment

Originally posted by dnusol View Post
        Hi nilshomer, sorry for getting back to this thread, but do you know if Picard is able to remove duplicates from single-reads? Samtools manual does not recommend it but I am not sure if it is a matter of implementation or a real technical issue on the single read part which I don't get.

best
        If you have high coverage (say 50x for 50bp reads), then it becomes very likely that multiple single end reads will start at the same coordinate. You will then wont be able to tell coverage from PCR duplicates. For PE or LMP reads, both ends can be used to determine duplication, since the insert size has its own distribution.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses