Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FindPeaks 3.1.3 (alpha) - ChIP-Seq and UCSC-compatible short-read wig track creator

Hi All,

Just thought I'd take a second to let people know that FindPeaks 3.1.3 has been released. It's currently alpha code, so there are probably still a few bugs remaining, but since I've been running the code myself, it seems to do what I expect it to do.

In any case, if you'd like to see some of the improvements over FindPeaks 2.1.3 (the last version available on the web), I've put an abbreviated version of the change log on the download page.

Happy ChIP-Seq-ing!

Anthony Fejes
    The more you know, the more you know you don't know. —Aristotle

any comparisons with the Solexa's BeadStudio chipSEQ module?

I am looking to search for peaks on the whole human genome reference for a TF
    --
    bioinfosm

Comment

I have not tried out the Illumina Chip-Seq module - I don't use the Windows platform, so I probably won't get around to trying it out, either.

We tend to move very quickly to develop new features and fix bugs with our in-house version, which makes it an excellent tool for trying to squeeze out new information from ChIP-Seq experiments. It's also developed to be useful for both pipeline processing and for desktop use, whereas the Illumina version appears to be very GUI-centric. They're likely developed for different audiences.

As for your goal of trying to search for peaks on the whole human genome reference with a transcription factor - All chip-Seq programs can do that. FindPeaks, the Wold Lab's version (and others as well) and I'd be very surprised if the Illumina tool couldn't do it.

The underlying issue is what methods are available for finding Peaks in the package you select. Not all peaks contain the same amount of information, and how you extract and process that information is important.
      Last edited by apfejes; 04-02-2008, 09:10 AM.

Comment

I see that findpeaks depends on the unique hits from Eland. But one can run eland with any seed length (default 32). Have you done tests to see what could be a better option. Using a lower threshold for eland like 25 to get more input data to find peaks...?

thanks !
        --
        bioinfosm

Comment

Hey Bioinfosm,

You're right, you can get better/worse results depending on the length from Eland. What we normally do is to run it at several lengths (e.g, 32, 29, 26, 23) and then use the ParseMultipleElands.jar application to pick the best hit from the longest Eland run. This way, you get the most specific hit, without losing too much information. The best of all possible worlds.

I once had the opportunity to take a look at 51-mers from a (Non-chip-seq) solexa run (last June, so the quality wasn't great), and found that the vast majority of hits came from 32-mers or greater, but there were still a significant number of 21- and 23-mers that were recovered by doing the shorter align lengths, about 3M and 3.25M respectively, out of a total of 30M reads. (Interestingly enough, there were about 3 Million 51-mers that aligned for the full sequence length, but thats another subject.)

Cheers,

Anthony

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
          0 responses