Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, yes, that appears to work. Now it's a whole bunch of errors about certain reads mapping somewhere past the end of the chromosome (Reading position 14320062 was 2642bp beyond the end of chr25 (14317420)).

Not sure how that's possible given that it's all coming from the same set of data, off to check it all again though.

Cheers
    Ben.

Comment

• Originally posted by tirohia View Post
      So, yes, that appears to work. Now it's a whole bunch of errors about certain reads mapping somewhere past the end of the chromosome (Reading position 14320062 was 2642bp beyond the end of chr25 (14317420)).

Not sure how that's possible given that it's all coming from the same set of data, off to check it all again though.

Cheers
      Ben.
      If you've just built the genome from the GTF file them the chromosome will end where the last feature finishes, so you will get reads mapping off the end of the chromosome. If you want to get the chromosome lengths correct then you can either fix them manually when you build the genome or you can pass in the fasta files in addition to the GTF file to get the full chromosome length.

Comment

• That worked perfectly and I doubt I would have thought of that straight off the bat. I'm am indebted to you

many thanks.

Comment

• I'm going to make up a tutorial video to show the process of making one of these custom genomes to try to explain this a bit better. It's probably not obvious from just the documentation and it's a very new feature so a few people will be trying this out.

Comment

• I've uploaded a tutorial video showing how to use the custom genome builder tool in SeqMonk to easily work with genomes which aren't available in our core database. The video shows how to build both conventional genomes, but also how to make pseudo chromosomes when you're working with assemblies which are incomplete and may contain many thousands of scaffolds.

Comment

• I've uploaded a new release of SeqMonk to the project web site. Version 0.27.0 makes some improvements to the RNA-Seq quantitation as well as adding a new tool which makes it easy to automatically split large numbers of samples into the appropriate data groups or replicate sets.

We've also improved the re-import tool so that you can now down-sample a large dataset to a size of your choosing, or filter the reads by their length.

Finally we've fixed a couple of bugs, notably a problem with multiple testing correction when analysing large numbers of HiC probes, and one which prevented custom genomes created from GFFv3 files from automatically loading the annotation in the new genome.

Please let us know if you have any problems with the new version.

Comment

• Thank you for developing this excellent tool!

Originally posted by simonandrews View Post
                I've uploaded a new release of SeqMonk to the project web site. Version 0.27.0 makes some improvements to the RNA-Seq quantitation as well as adding a new tool which makes it easy to automatically split large numbers of samples into the appropriate data groups or replicate sets.

We've also improved the re-import tool so that you can now down-sample a large dataset to a size of your choosing, or filter the reads by their length.

Finally we've fixed a couple of bugs, notably a problem with multiple testing correction when analysing large numbers of HiC probes, and one which prevented custom genomes created from GFFv3 files from automatically loading the annotation in the new genome.

Comment

• CAn I save wiggle file

Hi Simon,

I ran ChIP seq analysis and created a wiggle file to look for peaks. Can I export the wiggle track file or not at all.
                  Thanks

Originally posted by simonandrews View Post
                  I've uploaded a new release of SeqMonk to the project web site. Version 0.27.0 makes some improvements to the RNA-Seq quantitation as well as adding a new tool which makes it easy to automatically split large numbers of samples into the appropriate data groups or replicate sets.

Comment

• Originally posted by mathew View Post
                    Hi Simon,

I ran ChIP seq analysis and created a wiggle file to look for peaks. Can I export the wiggle track file or not at all.
                    Thanks
                    Yes, you can export the data in a couple of ways.

If you want to put the data into a genome browser or a general genome visualisation tool like IGV then you can do File > Export Current View > BEDGraph, which will export the data as a BEDGraph file. We have to use BEDGraph format rather than wig since the probes in SeqMonk are not guaranteed to be fixed width.

If you want to just get the data out in a format which is easy for you to manipulate then you can create a report using the options in the report menu. Doing an annotated probe report (even if you don't actually annotate) is probably what you'd want to try first.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• Originally posted by simonandrews View Post
                      The video shows how to build both conventional genomes, but also how to make pseudo chromosomes when you're working with assemblies which are incomplete and may contain many thousands of scaffolds.
                      Hi Simon,

when I have a genome with pseudo chromosomes, the "go to position" feature only shows pseudo chromosomes. Could that be expanded to actually allow for going to scaffold coordinates also? Or is there a work around to go to actual scaffold positions?

Cheers

Comment

• Originally posted by ShellfishGene View Post
                        Hi Simon,

when I have a genome with pseudo chromosomes, the "go to position" feature only shows pseudo chromosomes. Could that be expanded to actually allow for going to scaffold coordinates also? Or is there a work around to go to actual scaffold positions?

Cheers
                        That's a really good point. I'll see if there's an easy way to add the original scaffolds into the options for that.

Comment

• FastQc for Bisulfite seq

Two related questions:
                          1.Can we used FAstqc for qc check of bisulfite seq data. Will it give me CG ratios etc?
                          2. I have used Seq monk but have not used Bismark. Is there a GUI version Bismark equivalent to Seqmonk?
                          Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by mathew View Post
                            Two related questions:
                            1.Can we used FAstqc for qc check of bisulfite seq data. Will it give me CG ratios etc?
                            Yes. FastQC reports provide some useful information in analysing BSSeq. All of the normal quality stuff is the same as any other library, and the sequence composition parts are informative - although since BS-Seq libraries are expected to look odd you will get error flags on the composition based modules (esp per sequence composition) since there should be very few Cs and lots of Ts.

There is also a lot of more BS-Seq specific QC in the bismark reports which you should definitely look at. This will cover things like the BS strands which were found, the overall level of methylation in different contexts and positional biases in methylation (M-bias plots).

Originally posted by mathew View Post
                            2. I have used Seq monk but have not used Bismark. Is there a GUI version Bismark equivalent to Seqmonk?
                            Thanks
                            No, the nature of the computation needed for bismark means that it's not really feasible to run this on a normal desktop computer. There is a galaxy wrapper for bismark which can make it easier for people who really want to avoid the command line altogether, but the bismark command options are pretty simple for normal libraries. I suppose we could write a small graphical program to help to set this up, but it would just end up constructing a normal command line at the end.

Comment

• Filtering by Statistical Test

Hi,

I used the RNA-seq pipeline in SeqMonk to process my data. My initial probe list was 26127 in size. So I performed a filter by statistical test using intensity difference. In the pop-up box where it indicates "Probes per sample", when I try to input 26127, it defaults to 13036. Is there any reason why it would default to this value?

I'm new to using SeqMonk and NGS in general, so I have much to learn.

Thanks for your help!

Comment

• Originally posted by Skissors View Post
                                Hi,

I used the RNA-seq pipeline in SeqMonk to process my data. My initial probe list was 26127 in size. So I performed a filter by statistical test using intensity difference. In the pop-up box where it indicates "Probes per sample", when I try to input 26127, it defaults to 13036. Is there any reason why it would default to this value?

I'm new to using SeqMonk and NGS in general, so I have much to learn.

Thanks for your help!
                                It should normally default to 1% of the probe set size, so even 13,000 is way too big. This value is the sample size the program uses to make up a custom distribution to judge the significance of each point - you need to make it considerably smaller than the total probe set size, and unless you have a good reason it's as well to leave it set to the default value which the program suggests.

Hope this helps

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                                • seqadmin
                                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post seqadmin  
                                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                                0 responses