Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rosalind - online platform for learning bioinformatics

Rosalind is a new educational resource for learning bioinformatics through problem solving and programming. Rosalind allows its users to learn bioinformatics concepts through a problem tree that builds up biological, algorithmic, and programming knowledge concurrently.

Rosalind is also designed to help bioinformatics professors manage the programming assignments in their classes via its software system for automated homework testing. The Rosalind site has already subscribed over 4000 active users and counting. As of today, it contains 90 published problems.

It can be checked out at http://www.rosalind.info

any independent,trustworthy reviews from people
    who say what they really think ?

Comment

There are some links with comments/discussions about the platform:

Rosalind.info is a website with bioinformatics problems inspired by Project Euler (previously, previouslier.)

Shipud writes "Bioinformatics science which deals with the study of methods for storing, retrieving, and analyzing molecular biology data. Byte Size Biology writes about ROSALIND, a cool concept in learning bioinformatics, similar to Project Euler. You are given problems of increasing difficulty t...

Comment

they compare it with project Euler, which I found here:

how much time is needed

---------------

I remember, I enjoyed these programming contests,
        where they keep a list of tasks and programs and
        user statistics.
        E.g. Uni, Danzig(SO??), Valladoloid
        I haven't checked since long
        is it similar ?

------------------------------------

can you create your own Rosalind discussion forum, please ?

----------------------------------
        it was : http://www.spoj.com/
        found with google via

maybe you can make them add Rosalind

Valladolid was here: http://acm.uva.es/contest/
        Last edited by gsgs; 12-29-2012, 06:03 AM.

Comment

Yes, it is often referred as Project Euler for Bioinformatics. However, it is not 100% similar to programming contexts, as its primary aim is education (learning bioinformatics). In other words, it is in between coding competitions and online education.

Do I undertand correctly that you are asking not to post here, at http://seqanswers.com/forum?

Thanx for the links!

Comment

Originally posted by gsgs View Post
            any independent,trustworthy reviews from people
            who say what they really think ?

I have been solving some of problems on and off and like it because these problems, although very simple in the beginning, are similar to some that might be encountered on day-to-day analysis - and thus the code snippets that I create can be re-used later.

They also have a small introduction of the biological aspects of the problem. This is not so useful for me as a Biologists, but it might be good for computationally minded people that knows little about Biology.

Where it fails, IMO, is that it does not give provide coding training/tips. The user needs to know hot to code before hand. In my case I do it in parallel using the problems to learn python.

Overall a good tool.
            Last edited by krespim; 12-29-2012, 10:32 AM. Reason: typos and grammar

Comment

> Do I undertand correctly that you are asking not to post here,
              > at http://seqanswers.com/forum?

no, how could I ? I'm not affiliated with this forum.
              I meant a discussion especially about the Rosalind-problems
              would be fine. As I saw it with the other programming contests,
              also solving problems in groups, sharing ideas -
              that's what motivated the people.

Comment

Originally posted by krespim View Post
                Where it fails, IMO, is that it does not give provide coding training/tips. The user needs to know hot to code before hand. In my case I do it in parallel using the problems to learn python.
                Thank you for the feedback! We already have a very basic collection of tutorial problems here: http://rosalind.info/problems/list-v...python-village
                and we will be working on expanding our coding education in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by phcompeau View Post
                  Thank you for the feedback! We already have a very basic collection of tutorial problems here: http://rosalind.info/problems/list-v...python-village
                  and we will be working on expanding our coding education in 2013.

Thanks for the info. I've missed those tutorials.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                  • seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                  0 responses