Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full Genomic Database and corresponding chromosomal databases

I am doing some experiment using BowTie and Q-Pick. However, one works with full Human genomic database (BowTie) and another works with it's corresponding chromosomal databases (for chromosome 1,2, 3....23). Now from here, I found full Human Genome Database for h19 (contains 23 chromosome files one for each chromosome i.e. chromFa.tar.gz archive). However, can't understand , if I concatenate all those 23 files in a single file (say using cat command) and give input to the BowTie tool, is it acceptable ? Means does concatenated all chromosome files = Full Genomic database ? More specifically, each chromosome starts with chr(chromosome number)>, should I include those while concatenating or remove those tags ?
    Last edited by Arupsss; 06-18-2012, 07:31 AM.

I am not sure I understand your question. Bowtie can work with an entire genome, with chromsomes or with parts of chromosomes. So there is no need to have one large file and plenty of reasons not to (e.g., ease of manipulation, ease of visualization, etc.) However ff you do wish to concatenate all of the chromsomes together into one large genome file then leave the '>' part in place. Good luck with your analysis.

Comment

Originally posted by westerman View Post
      I am not sure I understand your question. Bowtie can work with an entire genome, with chromsomes or with parts of chromosomes. So there is no need to have one large file and plenty of reasons not to (e.g., ease of manipulation, ease of visualization, etc.) However ff you do wish to concatenate all of the chromsomes together into one large genome file then leave the '>' part in place. Good luck with your analysis.
      Thanks a lot. So, while concatenating, suppose chr1>NN..AG..NN and chr2>NN..GC...NN, I should remove the > means output is : chr1NN..AG..NNchr2NN..GC...NN. And give input the concatenated file to BowTie. Am I correct ?

Comment

Your files should look something like:

>chr1
        NN..AG..NN

And the next file should look like:

>chr2
        NN..GC..NN

When you cat these files together leave in the '>' part to get a large file that looks like:

>chr1
        NN..AG..NN
        >chr2
        NN..GC..NN

Unless I misunderstanding your question, this is simple FastA format manipulation.

Comment

Originally posted by westerman View Post
          Your files should look something like:

>chr1
          NN..AG..NN

And the next file should look like:

>chr2
          NN..GC..NN

When you cat these files together leave in the '>' part to get a large file that looks like:

>chr1
          NN..AG..NN
          >chr2
          NN..GC..NN

Unless I misunderstanding your question, this is simple FastA format manipulation.
          Yah. I am trying to do that simple FastA format manipulation thus I can give it as a single file input to BowTie. However, "'>' part" means only ">" or ">chr2>" because in the above large file example you just cat those files, no part is dropped.

Comment

Save yourself a significant amount of effort and just download the pre-built bowtie indexes for hg19 from here: ftp://ftp.cbcb.umd.edu/pub/data/bowt.../hg19.ebwt.zip

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
              Save yourself a significant amount of effort and just download the pre-built bowtie indexes for hg19 from here: ftp://ftp.cbcb.umd.edu/pub/data/bowt.../hg19.ebwt.zip
              Thanks a lot. However, I have many chromosomal sequences (not only for Human or hg19/18). I have to do it for all. I don't think for all I can get prebuilt indexes. Another point is that for some cases I have to include/exclude sex related chromosomal sequence.

Comment

I guess you are trying to do much of this on windows. It may be time to put some effort into using a unix distro. There are several unix distributions that you can try. You may want to experiment with "bioliunx" which has a lot of pre-built bioinformatics apps (http://nebc.nerc.ac.uk/tools/bio-linux/bio-linux-6.0).

You are bound to run into some issue (sooner than later) where trying to do this type of analysis on windows (editing/handling large files is one thing that comes to mind).

A simple unix command like "cat file1 fie2 file3 > final.fa" would achieve what you were asking about in the original question.

Originally posted by Arupsss View Post
                Thanks a lot. However, I have many chromosomal sequences (not only for Human or hg19/18). I have to do it for all. I don't think for all I can get prebuilt indexes. Another point is that for some cases I have to include/exclude sex related chromosomal sequence.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                0 responses