No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many tags to perform a RNAseq experiment

Dear All,

We planed to performed the same whole transcriptome analysis on SOLiD 5500xl and HiSeq 1000 using Human samples. We would like to know how many tags should we sequence to be able to determine fusion transcript and also to perform gene expression analysis.

Thanks in advance.
    Best regards.

Kant1
    To infinity ... and behond !!!

Unfortunately, the answer is "as many as you possibly can" :-)

Comment

that would not really help me because i already think the same !!!!

thanks for your help kopi-o

Comment

I know, but it's really not possible to answer your question with a specific number. See this blog post:

Comment

There is no consensus here. It depends on what your overall goals are (finding novel transcripts, splice variants or DGE) and also on how complex your genome is.
          Speaking from an Illumina perspective (I assume the same would hold true for SOLiD, they published a white paper saying that around 2m mapped reads shows similar sensitivity to a microarray (from "Vendor A") in terms of identifying the same % genes showing differential expression between MAQC brain and Universal Ref RNA.

I've seen other people quote 10 m being equivalent to a microarray (probably also depends on the microarray).

Either way, we recommend >30 million reads per sample with at least 3 biological replicates. Ideally we would like more reads, but it's just that 30 million sits nicely in the niche of our what our sequencers can output (6 samples in one HiSeq lane, or 1 sample per GA lane).
          I would also argue that biological replicates are more important than number of reads (i.e. 3 x 20m reads is better than 1 x 60 million).

Comment

35 million is my magic number

Comment

I think that I got the answer that I was looking for.
              I resume, I need at least 100 M of tags per samples (including 3 biological replicates).
              Thank you guys

kant1

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses