No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggested aligner for local alignment of RNA-seq data

Greetings,

I'm trying to analyze the results of Illumina RNA sequencing (~5x150M 100bp PE reads). One problem that we are facing is that for a very large number of our reads, only the first ~50bp are of actual biological material, with the rest consisting of Illumina primers. Would anyone who has faced a similar problem care to suggest an alignment program/parameters to analyze this kind of data? I've tried using bowtie2, but I either get terrible alignment rates using --end-to-end, or I am unable to get any splice junctions using --local.

Thank you very much,
    -Eric Fournier

You can use something like Trimmomatic to trim off the adapter sequences first.

Comment

Trouble with Trimmomatic

I've now spent quite a fair amount of time trying to clean up my sequences with Trimmomatic, but I've been unable to find a set of parameters that gets rid of most of the Illumina adapter sequences.

I've attached an example set of 5 sequences that contain Illumina adapters, as well as the adapter file I've been using (Sequences obtained from UniVec).

When running the R1 sequences through VecScreen, it is quite obvious that the adapters are present:
      Code:
      Query  53  AGATCGGAAGAGCGGCTCAGCAGGAATGTCGTGACCGATCTCGT  96
                 ||||||||||||||| |||||||||||| || ||||||||||||
      Sbjct  61  AGATCGGAAGAGCGGTTCAGCAGGAATGCCGAGACCGATCTCGT  18

Query  52  AGATCGGAAGAGCGGTTCAGCA  73
                 ||||||||||||||||||||||
      Sbjct  61  AGATCGGAAGAGCGGTTCAGCA  40

Query  48  AGATCGGAAGAGCGGTTCAGCAGGAATGACGAGACCGATCTCGTATGCC  96
                 |||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||||||||||||||||||||
      Sbjct  61  AGATCGGAAGAGCGGTTCAGCAGGAATGCCGAGACCGATCTCGTATGCC  13

Query  52  AGATCGGAAGAGCGGCTCAGCAGGTATGTCGAGACCGATCTCG  94
                 ||||||||||||||| |||||||| ||| ||||||||||||||
      Sbjct  61  AGATCGGAAGAGCGGTTCAGCAGGAATGCCGAGACCGATCTCG  19

Query  45  AGATCGGAAGAGCGGCTCAGCAGGTATGCCGAGAGCGATCTCGTATG  91
                 ||||||||||||||| |||||||| ||||||||| ||||||||||||
      Sbjct  61  AGATCGGAAGAGCGGTTCAGCAGGAATGCCGAGACCGATCTCGTATG  15
      And yet unless I use absurd thresholds (9:3:3), most are left untouched. Am I doing something wrong?
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Eric Fournier; 01-14-2013, 12:40 PM. Reason: Fixed in-line alignment spacing

Comment

I have been using trimmomatic for exactly the same situation and I have been happy with the results. Here is the command I am using:

Code:
        java -classpath <path_trimmomatic> org.usadellab.trimmomatic.TrimmomaticPE -phred64 file1.fq file2.fq p1.fastq u1.fastq p2.fastq u2.fastq ILLUMINACLIP:./adapter.fasta:2:30:12 SLIDINGWINDOW:4:20 LEADING:10 TRAILING:10
        I think the palindrome clipping is really good, but it took a while to figure out how to get the fasta formatted properly. Here are my entries for palindrome clipping, (note they must "start with 'Prefix', and end in '/1' for the forward adapter and '/2' for the reverse adapter"):

Code:
        >Prefix/1
        AATGATACGGCGACCACCGAGATCTACACTCTTTCCCTACACGACGCTCTTCCGATCT
        >Prefix/2
        CAAGCAGAAGACGGCATACGAGATNNNNNNGTGACTGGAGTTCAGACGTGTGCTCTTCCGATCT
        Also, check your quality score encoding. Additionally, I modified the ILLUMINACLIP to not require a minimum prefix for palindrome clipping (public final static int MIN_PREFIX = 1; in IlluminaClippingTrimmer.java)

Comment

An alternative to trimmomatic would be cutadapt.

Comment

I've moved on from using Trimmomatic to cutadapt, and I've been able to clean up my sequences pretty well. However, I'm running into a new snag: I just can't seem to reliably align spliced reads.

I've built a test subset of spliced reads (attached), which all align to my reference genome (Bos taurus, UMD3.1) when I use Blast or BLAT. I believe that bowtie2 cannot align spliced reads, so I've moved on to TopHat2. However, I've been unable to find a set of parameters which aligns at least a majority of the spliced reads. My best result so far only aligns 6 of the 18. I am using the following command line:

Code:
            ./tophat-2.0.6.Linux_x86_64/tophat2 -N 6 --read-gap-length 5 --read-edit-dist 10 --splice-mismatches 2 --library-type fr-unstranded --num-threads 6 --b2-very-sensitive ~/bowtie2-indices/Bos_Taurus/Bos_Taurus Splice_R1_cut.fastq Splice_R2_cut.fastq
            Could anyone suggest additional/different parameters to increase the amount of successful alignments?

Thanks for any help!
            Attached Files

Comment

Since you have shorter reads, you might need to set --segment-length and --min-anchor-length lower.

You could also try STAR. It finds spliced alignments by looking for the largest portion of a read that aligns, softclipping bases that don't align. That will avoid you even having to use something like cutadapt.

Comment

Alright, I'll try those.

I've tried using STAR, but unfortunately I don't have enough RAM to run it, even in sparse mode. I've started looking into using Amazon Web Services or getting some time on a supercalculator in case I can't get TopHat2 to a satisfactory point.

Comment

I've finally managed to get reasonable results using Tophat2 by quality trimming my reads. Even though the low-quality read ends were accurate enough for BLAT/BLAST to align them properly, they contained just too many errors for Tophat2, even with parameters allowing for high flexibility.

Comment

In the past, when having similar issues, I find that quality trimming followed by adapter trimming gave the optimal results. Just as poor quality base pairs at the end of the read affect alignment, it also can affect adapter trimming. I also tried doing it in reverse order as well as doing simultaneously (cutadapt can both quality trim and adapter trim) but found that doing the quality trimming first resulted in the best overall alignment and the most reads aligned.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                    • seqadmin
                      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                    0 responses