Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BAM/SAM to a gapped multiple sequence alignment

Are there any tools out there that would convert a SAM/BAM file to a gapped multiple sequence alignment of the reads and the reference? I am looking for a text formatted output (like fasta) of this rather than a vizualization tool.

It is a non trivial task since the SAM/BAM format isn't a multiple sequence alignment but a collection of pairwise alignments to the reference. The problem comes with conflicting inserts.

e.g. Suppose the first insert is between columns 10 and 11. Most reads say there is no insert here, one read says there should a A, another says AT, a third ATG and a forth says TG. How do you align that? Maybe:

--- (most reads)
    A--
    AT-
    ATG
    -TG

That was a fairly easy example - but what if there was another group of reads with an insert of C at this point?

My point is the conversion would require doing this kind of realignment for every insert.

Comment

This is why SAM has a "P" operation, but for now few use that.

Comment

I understand that this is non-trivial and choices have to be made. I was wondering if a trivial converter that mostly assumes single-base insertions and makes the most obvious choices for a multi-base insertions was available.

Are there any aligners present that provide the padding information?

Comment

Originally posted by query View Post
          Are there any tools out there that would convert a SAM/BAM file to a gapped multiple sequence alignment of the reads and the reference? I am looking for a text formatted output (like fasta) of this rather than a vizualization tool.
          I had some code that performed a column wise "samtools pileup", so insertions would get their own rows in the output rather than shoehorning them into the same line via +seq. It needs some tidying up as it's no longer so standalone (it's part of my BAM reading code in Gap5), but could be made so again if it's useful.

As others have pointed out this is only half the problem though. It's not going to get your data aligned better and put P CIGAR operators in. I'm not aware of tools to automatically do this, but I'm sure some must exist.

Comment

I would also like to obtain "alignments" from SAM/BAM. Since the samtools tview allows to view the alignment it should be possible to obtain these "alignments" in text format, no ?

Comment

SAM/BAM Learning

Hi,

Can anyone help me in learning SAM/BAM and PileUp? Any tutorial avalable for self study?

Hima
              Hima Raman
              Università Milano Bicocca
              Dip. medicina clinica e prevenzione
              via Cadore, 48
              20052 Monza (MB)

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses