Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Library prep with <100ng DNA?

What is the lowest amount of DNA I can get away with using for a library prep for a 36bp single read run on the IIX?

Nextera's protocol only uses 50ng. However, the library insert size is not very tight with it. You could probably use almost any protocol if you increase the amplification cycle number. This would also increase artifacts tho.

Comment

Thanks for the tip. Have you had any success/experience using Illumina's library prep kit at 100ng? If so, how many amplification cycles would you recommend?

Comment

I've fairly routinely used around 50ng. I've occasionally dipped down lower. According to my picogreen machine, my lowest is 5ng. We tweaked the method a bit, doing 18 cycles of PCR before the gel cut rather than 12 cycles afterwards. It doesn't always work, and sometimes we get a bit of PCR duplicatation, but 50ng is reasonably well behaved.

Comment

We routinely use 10 ng and 12 cycles without any problems. Just be careful to reduce the amount of adapters and PCR primers to take into consideration the lower amount of initial DNA.

Comment

Are you talking about the preparation of Genomic DNA?

Comment

I'm talking about genomic DNA, mostly for copy number purposes. I've put all the method details in a recent paper http://nar.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/co...&pmid=20525786

Comment

Many thanks to everyone for the input! Happy sequencing....

Comment

Originally posted by Efortier View Post
                  We routinely use 10 ng and 12 cycles without any problems. Just be careful to reduce the amount of adapters and PCR primers to take into consideration the lower amount of initial DNA.
                  How are your purifying the prep after ligating the adapters?

Comment

Originally posted by henry.wood View Post
                    I'm talking about genomic DNA, mostly for copy number purposes. I've put all the method details in a recent paper http://nar.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/co...&pmid=20525786
                    I am doing some sequencing to look at copy number variants at low depth. Can I ask why in your paper you use 200bp fragment size, did you use paired end reads? Would it have been possible to have a larger fragment size to allow you to call larger inversions for example?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by mimi_lupton View Post
                      I am doing some sequencing to look at copy number variants at low depth. Can I ask why in your paper you use 200bp fragment size, did you use paired end reads? Would it have been possible to have a larger fragment size to allow you to call larger inversions for example?

Thanks
                      Hello,
                      The 200bp fragment was partly due to the samples. DNA from FFPE tissues is often already fairly fragmented, so getting 500bp fragments might have been tricky. It's also partly due to convenience, that's what was already happening in the lab, so we didn't have to play around with the covaris too much.
                      We only used single end reads, again partly due to the fragmentation and partly because the sequencer we use mostly does single end runs. Purely from a copy number point of view, as long as you have enough sequence to trust the alignment for each read, then that's fine. To spot inversions etc using paired end reads we would have needed higher coverage. At the depth we used, we're only getting a read every 3kb or so. That's fine for copy number, and we keep the libraries, so we can always go back and resequence a sample if we want greater resolution.
                      Hope that makes sense.

Comment

I understand using less adaptor for lower input amounts during Illumina library construction and then altering the number of PCR cycles. Why/how should the PCR primer amounts be adjusted (how much should be used for 50ng input, or 200ng input, etc)?

Comment

I'm trying to automate the Nextera prep, and I'm wondering how to go about the tagmentation cleanup. Yields following Ampure (SPRI) have been substantially lower than with MinElute columns, but columns can't easily be scaled up and the elution volumes on Qiagen plates are way too large not to mention highly variable. Ideally, I'd like to eliminate the tagmentation cleanup all together, but I'm not sure how since simply skipping it doesn't seem to work. Ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by henry.wood View Post
                            Hello,
                            The 200bp fragment was partly due to the samples. DNA from FFPE tissues is often already fairly fragmented, so getting 500bp fragments might have been tricky. It's also partly due to convenience, that's what was already happening in the lab, so we didn't have to play around with the covaris too much.
                            We only used single end reads, again partly due to the fragmentation and partly because the sequencer we use mostly does single end runs. Purely from a copy number point of view, as long as you have enough sequence to trust the alignment for each read, then that's fine. To spot inversions etc using paired end reads we would have needed higher coverage. At the depth we used, we're only getting a read every 3kb or so. That's fine for copy number, and we keep the libraries, so we can always go back and resequence a sample if we want greater resolution.
                            Hope that makes sense.
                            Have you tried exome sequencing on FFPE samples? We are thinking of using TruSeq Exome kit but don't know if it works with low input + FFPE samples..

Comment

We are currently awaiting the results of FFPE exomes. We used the illumina nextera exome kits. They worked with <100ng DNA from FFPE samples. The libraries looked fine, but we won't know how the data turns out for a week or so.
                              I know people have used sureselect kits with FFPE in the past, but I think they need higher amounts of template. I don't know about truseq.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses