Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fragment analysis; microsatellite or SSR/STR

Has anyone been using next gen or preferably illumina for fragment analysis.
    Right now my project are running multiplex for Sanger 3130xl machine to perform fragment size analysis.
    But this limited to small sample and run 1 sample per capillary and require culture of bacteria for pure cullture.

I wish to know if illumina are limited to only sequencing?
    or cant I just sequence the microsatellite loci and look at the length for fragment size of millions different strains and sort them using computer program some how.

So instead of having 10 to 100s sample size; I would have over 100,000 or millions.

but with multiplex(with many loci), how can i separate which strain to which since it all mix.

Thanks,

I can't answer your question directly, but yes you can sequence microsats using Illumina. In theory it will provide more accurate allele characterization than bands on a gel.
    You can use our recent bioinformatic approach to genotype micros using NGS

Last edited by JackieBadger; 01-10-2014, 07:01 PM.

Comment

basically I have a vial of mix strains of bacteria but a single specie. I wanted to know %proportion of each strain in a time period.

differentiate between strains by pcr-multiplex amplify 5 microsatellite loci of length from 100bp to ~400bp
      each strain have different pattern of these fragment size.

right now I am culturing at each time point and and pick out 10 colonies each time.

But what i heard is that next gen dont really need culturing them into media agar plate.

Just looking for alternatives...with luck that it could help with finer resolution in %proportion

Comment

Hi Fadss, Yes NGS (primarily 454) has been used to type STR's. The main application to date has been the CODIS human ID markers used in forensics. We are yet to try it on our MiSeq but, it should work better than 454 and PGM due to the low homopolymer error.
        check out:
        Bornman, D., Hester, M., Schuetter, J., Kasoji, M., Minard-Smith, A., Barden, C., Nelson, S., Godbold, G., Baker, C. , Yang, B. 2011. Short-read, high-throughput sequencing technology for STR genotyping BioTechniques 2012.

Fordyce, S.L., Ávila-Arcos, M.C., Rockenbauer, E., Børsting, C., Frank-Hansen, R., Petersen, F.T., Willerslev, E., Hansen, A.J., Morling, N. , Gilbert, M.T.P. 2011. High-throughput sequencing of core STR loci for forensic genetic investigations using the Roche Genome Sequencer FLX platform Biotechniques 512: 127-133.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses