No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terrible overclustering -- 16S EMP protocol

Hi SEQ-users,

We've been using the following protocol for 16S V4 region amplicon sequencing on MiSeq, which I think is very familiar to many of you:

For several years, most members in our lab have been constantly successful in that method.
    Recently, however, cluster density is abnormally high -- about 1300~1500K/mm2(v2 kit) -- and sequencing quality very low. We tried over and over, reducing the library concentration from 15pM to 10pM, renewing sequencing primers, renewing phiX controls, but none of these worked.

In additon, libraries prepared with other methods (e.g. 2-step PCR, NEB UltraDNA Library Prep Kit, bacterial RNA-seq, etc.) are still sequenced fairly well. This probably means that, our trouble is not due to the MiSeq instrument or our poor sample handling.

Do any of you have such problems?
    Or, does anyone knows the solution?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Most likely reason for overclustering in this case would be inaccurate library quantification and high clustering of low diversity library will result in low quality. If reducing loading from 15 pM to 10 pM reduced cluster number then you might review the quantification.

Comment

We recently had a set of libraries (not 16S, but targeted loci, so very similar) that read as 4nM on the bioanalyzer but 20nM via qPCR! These were so discrepant that we repeated both assays at least twice with similar results each time.
      We used the qPCR numbers and ended up at ~700Kclusters/mm^2 on a v2 MiSeq cassette. A little low, but far preferable to overshooting the cluster density.
      neko_33 what method are you using to quantitate your library concentration? Also, if you are using phiX as your standards for qPCR, don't do that! The phiX standards are notorious for varying in concentration from batch to batch.

--
      Phillip

Comment

quantification failure? -- maybe not

Thank you for your kind replies.

We usually quantify libraries with Qubit fluorometer, but at times with qPCR (KAPA Library Quantification Kits). Illumina Co. warns that Biolanalyzer quanitification is not reliable, according to my memory.

Empirically, not so much difference between Qubit and qPCR. For example, when I last did MiSeq run, the concentration calculated based on Qubit result was 1.9±0.1nM, while 2.2nM on qPCR.

As I wrote in the first message, I think our quantifications do not have thus fatal errors, but I will continue using both Qubit and qPCR, and compare these two results.

Comment

Is this the same machine? Each machine clusters differently (I'd guess due to fluctuations in temperature control). FWIW, I cluster 16S runs at 6pM. When I go up to even 8pM I end up loosing so many clusters at PF that the output is roughly the same.
          Microbial ecologist, running a sequencing core. I have lots of strong opinions on how to survey communities, pretty sure some are even correct.

Comment

Dear thermophile,

Thank you very much for your suggestion. The machine we use is always the same.
            But I will check if the temperature is decently controled.

In addition, it is surprising that even 8pM library is too high!

Comment

The EMP sequencing primers aren't the right TM (they're too low). I've had the opposite problem you've had in the past-regular libraries will sequence fine but I'll get very very few clusters on the 16s runs. This was on an older miseq and the temperature control module wasn't hitting and holding temps correctly. It was still within the error tolerance of illumina libraries but the emp libraries have a narrower tolerance.
              Microbial ecologist, running a sequencing core. I have lots of strong opinions on how to survey communities, pretty sure some are even correct.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses