Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solexa and HiSeq

I'm very confused with the relationship of Solexa and HiSeq.
    Is it true that HiSeq 2000 based on the technology of Solexa?

Yes. They're both from illumina. Actually illumina bought solexa awhile back.

Solexa became GenomeAnalyzer. Then GenomeAnalyzer got a few upgrades (optics, flowcell layout, etc) until the GAIIx.

Then the hiseq came out. THe principals are the same, but they don't work the same way.

On the GA, the camera that takes pictures at given intervals, on the hiseq the camera does a linescan of the lanes of the flowcell.

The GA only reads the bottom of the flowcell, the hiseq reads top and bottom.

I won't list all the differences, you can go to illuminas site if you want more details.
    Last edited by lletourn; 05-12-2011, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Thank you so much

Comment

hello..

if i say solexa reads then it is considered Hiseq2000 based technology or not. actually i have solexa sequencing data and i installed the Fastx tool for adopter removal but this tool is only for solexa and sanger reads so i did not understand that solexa reads including HTseq technology or not.

thanx in advance

Comment

Originally posted by deepika123 View Post
          hello..

if i say solexa reads then it is considered Hiseq2000 based technology or not. actually i have solexa sequencing data and i installed the Fastx tool for adopter removal but this tool is only for solexa and sanger reads so i did not understand that solexa reads including HTseq technology or not.

thanx in advance
          Solexa was the name of the company that Illumina acquired back in 2006. Solexa pioneered the technology for sequencing that is still being used in principal with new Illumina sequencers.

Depending on the vintage of the data you are using there were multiple quality encoding formats (for fastq format). More information on that is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FASTQ_format#Encoding

If you know that the data you have is using an older encoding method (i.e. "non-sanger" then you may have to pass right options to Fastx toolkit. If you are not sure what format your data is in (in terms of quality) then you can try the FastQC program: http://www.bioinformatics.babraham.a...ojects/fastqc/. It can generally identify the quality format and will display it in the general summary.

Trimmomatic is also a better option for trimming: http://www.usadellab.org/cms/?page=trimmomatic

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
          • seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses