Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FASTX-Toolkit: quality score value

I get an error when I use FASTX-Toolkit : Please let me know how to get Fastx to work?

./bin/fastx_clipper -a "ATCTCGTATGCCGTCTTCTGCTTGAAAAAAAAAA" -l 5 -k -o test.out -i test.fastq
    fastx_clipper: Invalid quality score value (char '#' ord 35 quality value -29) on line 4

this is the test.fastq
    @GA6_00012:6:1:5480:933#0/1
    NCTGGGCACTGGGGTGCTGTGGGCAGATATGGGCTACAGAACAAGGAAAGACCCTGGTCCCGGAAGGTGCCAGCTG
    +
    #,,.225425@@5@@22@@@@@@@@(''%%'()'(@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@7@#####################

There was another thread very recently which covered this. You need to add the -Q33 parameter to tell it that you're using Illumina encoded quality scores, not Sanger encoding.

Comment

Originally posted by simonandrews View Post
      There was another thread very recently which covered this. You need to add the -Q33 parameter to tell it that you're using Illumina encoded quality scores, not Sanger encoding.
      The other way round

It assumes Illumina (ASCII offset 64), but you have Sanger (offset 33), hence -Q33

See: http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7399

Comment

Just a note, with Casava 1.8, qualities are switched to offset of 33 in illumina fastq files. So to use these with fastx toolkit, you'll also have to use the -Q33 flag.

Comment

When I am running the command fastq to fasta format through Fastx toolkit..It was showing the following error in 64 bit computer on Linux.
          fastq_to_fasta: Invalid quality score value (char '(' ord 40 quality value -24) on line 8

Now please give the solution for this problem.

Comment

When I am running the command for fastq trimmer in fastx toolkit..it was showing the error :

fastx_trimmer: Invalid quality score value (char '(' ord 40 quality value -24) on line 8

Please suggest the solution to resolve this issue.

Comment

What was the command you ran Nanu, and did you use the -Q33 flag?

Comment

I ran :
                ./fastx_trimmer -t 30 -i <filename> -o <filename2>
                No I didnt use any flag.
                I am new for this..so please guide me how to use -Q33 flag.

Comment

I ran :
                  ./fastx_trimmer -t 30 -i <filename> -o <filename2>

fastq_to_fasta -h -r -v -i <filename.fastq> -o <filename.fasta>

No I didnt use any flag.
                  I am new for this..so please guide me how to use -Q33 flag.

Comment

With the fastx tool kit you must add -Q33 to the command to tell it to use the Sanger FASTQ encoding (with quality score offset of 33). Unfortunately some tools default to the now obsolete Illumina encoding (which used an offset of 64), see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FASTQ_format and http://dx.doi.org/10.1093%2Fnar%2Fgkp1137

Comment

I have Illumina Seq data
                      Data format:

@HWI-1KL139:40:C0BW5ACXX:1:1102:19408:132180 1:N:0:
                      TGAACGGACTGGAAACACTGGTCATAATCATGGTGGCGAATAAGTACGCGTTCTTGCAAATCACCAGAAGGCGGTTCCTG
                      AATGAATGGGAAGCCTTCAAG
                      +
                      BCCFFFFDFHGHFIIJJJJJJIIIJGIJJGIJJ?GIHHGHIEGGFHIJJJJGHGHHFFFFFFEEEADDDDDBDB5<?CDD
                      DDDDCCEDDDDDB<ACDDCCC
                      @HWI-1KL139:40:C0BW5ACXX:1:1102:19487:132183 1:N:0:
                      CTGATTCTGAACAGCTTCTTGGGAAGTAGCGACAGCTTGGTTTTTAGTGAGTTGTTCCATTCTTTAGCTCCTAGACCTTT
                      AGCAGCAAGGTCCATATCTGA
                      +
                      @C@FFFDDD?AFDF@GHHHIIGI@@FBEHIIGD:FDFHII??FDG@FHIHE=CGIIE@AFHHEHECA;?=AEFFCBDDED
                      3>AA@BB(;;:>>>CD>CC@A
                      @HWI-1KL139:40:C0BW5ACXX:1:1102:19280:132183 1:N:0:
                      GACTTCACGCCAGAATACGAAAGACCAGGTATATGCACAAAATGAGATGCTTGCTTATCAACAGAAGGAGTCTACTGCTC
                      GCGTTGCGTCTATTATGGAAA
                      +
                      CCCFFFFFHHHHHJJJJJJIIJJJJJJJJFHIIJJIJJJJJJJJJJIJJJJJGIIJJJJGGGJJJJJHHHHEEDFFFFDE
                      DDDDDDDDBDDDEEEEDCACD

Where I have to mention it???

Comment

From the read naming convention, your Illumina data is using the standard "Sanger" FASTQ encoding.

Comment

Just add it as an argument. I wish this was better documented.

./fastx_trimmer -Q33 -t 30 -i <filename> -o <filename2>

I don't know if this one needs it as well?
                          fastq_to_fasta -Q33 -h -r -v -i <filename.fastq> -o <filename.fasta>

Comment

You might want to try Reformat. It automatically detects quality encoding (though you can override it), is much faster than fastx, does a better job of quality-trimming, and does fastq-to-fasta conversion in the same time as quality-trimming. And it keeps paired reads together.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                            • seqadmin
                              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                            0 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post seqadmin  
                            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                            0 responses