Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running one sample with index primers?

Hi all,
    I have a question - I am going to prepare library and I want try it with single sample and do a test run on MiSeq. The poblem is that I have just NEBNext Multiplex Oligos which are supposed to be multiplexed. Will the sequencing work if I add PhiX?

That will work. You would have option of setting up run with index read or without.

Comment

Only one index could cause the run to fail during the index sequencing because there isn't any diversity in each cycle. I'd just set up the sample sheet with 0 index
      Microbial ecologist, running a sequencing core. I have lots of strong opinions on how to survey communities, pretty sure some are even correct.

Comment

Thank you both. It should be obvious not to read indexes, but my brain is apparently not working lately

Comment

Originally posted by thermophile View Post
          Only one index could cause the run to fail during the index sequencing because there isn't any diversity in each cycle. I'd just set up the sample sheet with 0 index
          A single index sequencing on HiSeq systems is fine and on average 98% of reads correctly demultiplex. I wonder if you have seen single index sequencing fail on MiSeq or speculating.

Edit: If PhiX added to run, sequencing with index read reduces follow up work required for removing PhiX reads in some workflows.
          Last edited by nucacidhunter; 03-16-2018, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Yes I've had runs with 50% phiX fail during indexing on the MiSeq-I'd guess something similar would happen if you only use one index (3/4 colors would be dark and the machine would likely throw the "focus out of range" error). OP said they were going to run this on the miseq
            Microbial ecologist, running a sequencing core. I have lots of strong opinions on how to survey communities, pretty sure some are even correct.

Comment

Originally posted by nucacidhunter View Post
              A single index sequencing on HiSeq systems is fine and on average 98% of reads correctly demultiplex. I wonder if you have seen single index sequencing fail on MiSeq or speculating.
              I am speculating. I am testing library prep and would like to test library first on MiSeq if it contains what I want. But have only multiplexing oligos.

Comment

If you underload the library deliberately the run should be able to complete even with just one index. I am reasonably sure we have done this in the past but will have to confirm.

Comment

Ok, final result. Turning off index read really works. Sequenced library without problem. In the end no PhiX has been added.

Comment

No surprise since index reads are never part of the actual sequence in Illumina technology.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                    • seqadmin
                      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                    0 responses