View Single Post
Old 05-15-2013, 08:07 AM   #12
briandc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPC View Post
In the most simple terms you are saying "if you can detect the cells and kill them you would have a cure" then 'Yes' that is true but that does not take into account the complexity of the biological system. I play rugby on the weekends and I know if I can catch the ball and run down the other end of the pitch then I can score a try but it's not happening as often as I would like (as demonstrated by our league position).

Size color etc are not going to be useful for identifying a cancer cell, there are already > 300 different cell types in the body, what if your computer 'saw' a liver cell and thought it looked like a cancerous blood cell?....zap, no liver! So you do need to detect on a molecular level and even then you have to ask 'when is a cell a cancer cell?', how will your computer differentiate between a skin cells that are growing rapidly to heal a wound and skin cells that are in the early stages of oncogenesis?

There is not one unique code that identifies a cancer cell, even within a tumour there are different cell types, between people 2 mutations in different genes can cause the same disease.
I'm not able to say how to find cells before they become cancerous, although if a computer can be programmed to detect certain indicator warning flags, then you could do that too. I don't see why not.

The key is to get the computer to distinguish sick cells from healthy ones. Just like an antivirus looks for a particular string or extension.

Brian
briandc is offline   Reply With Quote