No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extract partial sequence from FASTA record

Hi all,

So I'm fairly new to anything bioinformatics related and I've been kind of muddling my way through so far.

I have extracted the introns from three different species and have their sequences stored in three FASTA files. I need a way to extract the first 10 bases from each of these sequences and put them in a new file. I don't know if it helps or not, but the first 10 bases are in caps while the rest of the sequence is in lowercase. I'm not sure if I could use some sort of regex hereor something. So for example,

>Fasta format Identification stuff
    ACTTGTACATatgggtatcataatcagggagatcc

Ideally I could preserve the ID lines with the extracted 10 base sequences. I have been using UNIX and perl for some of this (doing the actual extractions), but I also have access to Windows with python, biopython, and Emboss. Thanks for any help you guys could give!

Hello cdlam,
    Assuming your sequences are in a file name file.fa. At the command prompt run this
    perl -e 'while($id = <>){$seq = <>; $seq = substr($seq,0,10); print $id.$seq."\n"}' file.fa
    you should get this:
    ACTTGTACAT
    ACTTGTACAT
    ACTTGTACAT

Enjoy!

MBandi

Comment

awk solution:

awk '{if (/^>/)
      print $0
      else
      print(substr($1,1,10))
      }' file.fasta

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I'm not exactly sure how to do the awk solution,is that run from the command prompt?

Apexy, that seems to have worked. However, unforseen problem....one of my files is "file.fasta" but apparently isn't in the format... It's like:

scaffold_8 2234626-2234945 (-) GATCCGTAAGgtgaccacttccagcggcctggtgaagcgcctgatcgaggtgcagacgacgaccgtgacgaagaccgtggcgggcgagacgagcacgactgtggagacggagactcgcgaggagatcgatgacagcagtgccacgagctcgaccacgacgacgtcggatgcgactctggttagctcgtcgacgacgcacgagacggacgaggacggcgctgctggcgcgacggtgaagaccgaggtgttccgtacgatgggtgccaacggcagcgtcatcaccaagacggttcgcacgacgatccgtaagGTGACCACTT asmbl_6481

Except it's just in one line when I open it:
        scaffold_8 2234626-2234945 (-) GATCCGTAAG.........

It does do multiple lines per entry, but the breaks seem unpredictable, it's weird. I don't suppose anyone has any ideas for getting this into the proper format?

Comment

cdlam, the awk script should be run from the command line.

Is the format of the weird fasta file consistent? Does the sequence name always start with "scaffold"? Do the sequences always start with capitol letters?

Comment

Hey,

Yes, it seems consistent. The beginning of each on is "scaffold_8 2234626-2234945 (-) " either with a (+) or (-) depending on what strand it came from. So it will always go ( ) GTGAA....and each line ends with "asmbl_####"

So,

scaffold_# ###-##### ( ) SEQUENCE-DATA assembl_###

It starts a new line for a new "scaffold_#...." and the "assembl_###" is just on the end of the last line with sequence data.

Edit: Sorry, yes there are always 10 capitol letters at the beginning and 10 capitol letters at the end of the sequence.

Comment

Originally posted by cdlam View Post
              Hey,

Yes, it seems consistent. The beginning of each on is "scaffold_8 2234626-2234945 (-) " either with a (+) or (-) depending on what strand it came from. So it will always go ( ) GTGAA....and each line ends with "asmbl_####"

So,

scaffold_# ###-##### ( ) SEQUENCE-DATA assembl_###

It starts a new line for a new "scaffold_#...." and the "assembl_###" is just on the end of the last line with sequence data.

Edit: Sorry, yes there are always 10 capitol letters at the beginning and 10 capitol letters at the end of the sequence.
              Start with:
              Code:
              scaffold_8      2234626-2234945 (-) GATCCGTAAGgtgaccacttccagcggcctggtgaagcgcctgatcgaggtgcagacgacgaccgtgacgaagaccgtggcgggcgagacgagcacgactgtggagacggagactcgcgaggagatcgatgacagcagtgccacgagctcgaccacgacgacgtcggatgcgactctggttagctcgtcgacgacgcacgagacggacgaggacggcgctgctggcgcgacggtgaagaccgaggtgttccgtacgatgggtgccaacggcagcgtcatcaccaagacggttcgcacgacgatccgtaagGTGACCACTT asmbl_6481
              Run:
              Code:
              sed 's/^/>/g' input | sed 's/(*)\s/&\n/g' | sed 's/ as.*$//g' | sed 's/\s/ /g' > output
              I broke the sed code down into piped steps to make it easier to understand.
              's/^/>/g' adds a > to each line.
              's/(*)\s/&\n/g' inserts a new line after the strand designation.
              's/ as.*$//g' removes the assembl_### portion. You could just move it instead if you want to keep it.
              's/\s/ /g' replaces white space with a space. I added this since it seemed like some of the fields in the name line might have been separated by a tab.

End with:
              Code:
              >scaffold_8 2234626-2234945 (-)
              GATCCGTAAGgtgaccacttccagcggcctggtgaagcgcctgatcgaggtgcagacgacgaccgtgacgaagaccgtggcgggcgagacgagcacgactgtggagacggagactcgcgaggagatcgatgacagcagtgccacgagctcgaccacgacgacgtcggatgcgactctggttagctcgtcgacgacgcacgagacggacgaggacggcgctgctggcgcgacggtgaagaccgaggtgttccgtacgatgggtgccaacggcagcgtcatcaccaagacggttcgcacgacgatccgtaagGTGACCACTT

Comment

That worked, thanks a lot!

Hmm in terms of my original question, when using the

perl -e 'while($id = <>){$seq = <>; $seq = substr($seq,0,10); print $id.$seq."\n"}' file.fa
                To get the ending sequence, I just used $seq,-20, which gave me the final 20 bases. Is there a way I can start 5 bases from the end and take the preceding 20 bases?

Comment

I would suggest pragmatism. first extract last 25 and put in a file. From this file extract first 20
                  OR
                  perl -e 'while($id = <>){$seq = <>; $seq = substr($seq,-26, 20); print $id.$seq."\n"}' file.fa

Comment

Haha, wow I really feel like I should have been able to think of that myself

Oh well.

Thanks a lot!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                    • seqadmin
                      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                    0 responses