Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identifying Tier 1 Variants

From the published work I've seen, there's a common theme of looking at Tier 1 variants in sequence data, specifically: non-synonymous/non-sense mutations, splice site variants, and frameshift indels. In some cases, this is easier said then done, requiring in-phase alignment and gene annotation. Does anyone know of a tool that or collection of tools that can pull out these features simply by knowing the physical position of a variant? I know trait-o-matic is heading in this direction but I don't believe they've tackled splice sites yet.

Thanks

*bump*

I am also very interested in this.

SeqWare looks like it could do this sort of automated variant annotation. It looks like a powerful suite of tools, but so far the documentation is very sparse and from my 5 minute look at the tutorial not so easy to just start up.

Anyone else know of something that can take in GTF annotation , say, and a list of variants and output frameshift/splice site/nonsynonymous annotation?

Comment

Originally posted by NGSfan View Post
      *bump*

I am also very interested in this.

SeqWare looks like it could do this sort of automated variant annotation. It looks like a powerful suite of tools, but so far the documentation is very sparse and from my 5 minute look at the tutorial not so easy to just start up.

Anyone else know of something that can take in GTF annotation , say, and a list of variants and output frameshift/splice site/nonsynonymous annotation?
      SIFT provides both SNP/indel annotation (http://sift.jcvi.org).

SeattleSeq (http://gvs.gs.washington.edu/SeattleSeqAnnotation/) allows for SNP annotation only.

Ensembl offers a 'SNP effect predictor' tool available via the 'Manage your data' link on the left-hand menu. (http://uswest.ensembl.org/Homo_sapiens/Info/Index)

You might also consider building your own annotation tool based on the Ensembl Variation API (http://uswest.ensembl.org/info/docs/..._tutorial.html)
      Last edited by sperry; 02-11-2010, 12:26 PM.

Comment

thanks sperry for taking the time to list some SNP annotators and pointing me to some very useful links! I did not know any of these before!

This will definitely help me get started.

Comment

indel annotation

I just noticed that SeattleSNPs only handles SNP but not indels - is there any other software that can handle indel annotation?

Or even more simply - just take in SNP/indel coordinates (VCF or SAMtools pileup) plus gene annotations (GFF) and output HGVS annotation?

I'm amazed at the lack of tools for this...

Comment

Thanks sperry.

I notice that seattlesnps is a good source, but anyone knows if it is downloadable, and if so, how much effort goes into setting up all the associated databases?

NGSfan, does SIFT work for you?
            --
            bioinfosm

Comment

Folks,

You may also want to check this out:

We develop SequenceVariantAnalyzer, or SVA, trying to annotate and visualize SNP, INDEL, and larger SVs.

Last edited by Dongliang Ge; 03-04-2010, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bioinfosm View Post
                Thanks sperry.

I notice that seattlesnps is a good source, but anyone knows if it is downloadable, and if so, how much effort goes into setting up all the associated databases?

NGSfan, does SIFT work for you?

SIFT is useful in that it can handle indels, whereas Seattle SNPs does only SNPs.

SIFT is also nice since you can download it and run it locally (I am about to try it).

However, SIFT does not automatically check if your variations are already in the dbSNP/1000genomes like SeattleSNP does.

Comment

Originally posted by Dongliang Ge View Post
                  Folks,

You may also want to check this out:

We develop SequenceVariantAnalyzer, or SVA, trying to annotate and visualize SNP, INDEL, and larger SVs.

Dongliang - I really liked your program and I think it is really answering the call to address this issue of variant annotation.

However, as a user I would like to have a command line only execution for a streamlined pipeline - do you think it could be done? I'd rather not have to click through everything, and use the GUI only for inspection of the results. You offer exporting of the tables - this is great, but command line only execution with tab delimited tables as output would be great. That way it could be easy integrated into a pipeline.

Oh yes and another thing to add to output HGVS format of variant annotation.

Ahh users, they are never happy are they? ;-)

Thanks for your great software.

Best,
                  German

Comment

Hey German,

Thanks for trying out SVA and the comments! Also thanks a lot for the nice words.

Yes the suggest on command line tool is exactly my main focus now. I expect to release a command-line SVA tool sometime this week, along with some other updates and fixes.

I will include HGVS format too, but that will be a bit later. For the current release I only include a unique ID based on chromosome, location and type, I did not include HGVS which is transcript (or coding sequencing)-dependent. You are right it should be part of the annotation output for sure.

I hope this tool can be of any help in your research. And please let me know if you have other comments.

Regards,

Dongliang

Dongliang - I really liked your program and I think it is really answering the call to address this issue of variant annotation.

However, as a user I would like to have a command line only execution for a streamlined pipeline - do you think it could be done? I'd rather not have to click through everything, and use the GUI only for inspection of the results. You offer exporting of the tables - this is great, but command line only execution with tab delimited tables as output would be great. That way it could be easy integrated into a pipeline.

Best,
                    German

Comment

I used Ensembl API to annotate my SNPs from mouse.

I used Ensembl API to annotate my SNPs from mouse.

So far, only using it to:

Calculated data:

* Consequence of variations in transcripts (synonymous, non-synonymous,...)

Comment

Dear German,

A command line tool is just released in a newer version SVA 1.01beta, according to yours and others' suggestions.

Here is a brief introduction to this tool:

Here is how to update your current SVA package (if you are running a standard release instead of a Lite Evaluation release - a Lite Evaluation release cannot run an annotation job):

Again I hope this tool can be of any assistance.

Best regards,

Dongliang

Best,
                        German

Comment

Dongliang,

Wow! awesome! that is great news. We have a new data set coming in and so this will be a great opportunity to try it out.

Thanks a lot for adding this! I'm looking forward to using it!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                          • seqadmin
                            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                          0 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post seqadmin  
                          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                          0 responses