Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• earliest detectable RNAseq differential expression?

We are trying to determine the best time points to be used for detecting transient transcriptome response after treatment. Are there any studies done prior that looked at the best times for detection? Also when is the earliest detectable response recorded?

Thanks,
    Zach

I hope you realize that there will be no generally applicable answer to your question.

Comment

But there must be a lower limit on this question. For example, 15 minutes post treatment is probably not going to be enough time for new mRNA to accumulate. Now, what about a hour? I just want to see if there are any prior study or personal experience on this. I'm sorry if the original question is confusing.

Comment

15 minutes is probably enough for immediate early genes. There's no definition for transient. You could mean hours or days and even then there'd be no general answer (some changes will only be detectable earlier, others later). Do a pilot experiment with a few samples to have a look at things.

Comment

Some responses are very fast. For example, my academic lab looked at low oxygen responses and when our samples were exposed to normal oxygen for just a few minutes before freezing in liquid nitrogen we saw expression changes due to reoxygenation. We used a 15 minute exposure to normal oxygen in our experiments as that gave a very robust set of gene expression changes. This was in Drosophila and Drosophila tissue culture.
          Providing nextRAD genotyping and PacBio sequencing services. http://snpsaurus.com

Comment

Originally posted by stormin View Post
            But there must be a lower limit on this question. For example, 15 minutes post treatment is probably not going to be enough time for new mRNA to accumulate. Now, what about a hour? I just want to see if there are any prior study or personal experience on this. I'm sorry if the original question is confusing.
            Without knowing anything about the treatment (is this a xenobiotic? - pharmaceutical or industrial chemical?, pesticide?, is it reactive or stable?, is it a small or large molecule?, or is it a dose of radiation or some other "treatment"?), the cell type (I'm assuming you are talking about some sort of in vitro treatment?) the culture conditions and so forth there is no way to even give you reasonable guesses as answers.

Keep in mind that gene expression is the sum of all processes giving rise to a particular concentration of a particular mRNA at any given time. There are small molecules that can have an affect on measured gene expression almost instantly upon exposure. There are xenobiotics which will induce several cascades of expression changes over time from the first few hours to days out from initial exposure. Often your limitation for long term exposures is simple cell viability, but you may detect adaptive changes in gene expression profiles for as long as you can keep the cells alive.

The "best" time for sampling will vary tremendously depending on the specifics of the treatment, and the cell type being exposed. A pilot study is really the only way to pick good exposure(s) and time ponts for your particular treatment and cell type. Relying on results from other studies of different compounds or cell types is really not much better than pure guessing in most instances. Even using IVIVE (In vivo to In vitro extrapolation) to compute cellular exposures from animal studies has not been a guarantee of success in my experience, when working with the identical compound.
            Last edited by mbblack; 09-09-2014, 06:41 AM.
            Michael Black, Ph.D.
            ScitoVation LLC. RTP, N.C.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
            • seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses