Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CLIP/RIP-seq peak finding

A question to all users that run CLIP/RIP-seq and then try to find peaks in their data.
    Since I couldn't find any specific tool for finding peaks in RNA-based data, I have decided to use the classical ChIP-seq tools (the logic is the same I think).
    I align reads to the genome (I don't really care about junction reads), and then run one of the ChIP-seq tools such as MACS.
    I would like to hear about the parameters people use when they run ChIP-seq tools on CLIP/RIP-seq data. For example many of the ChIP-seq tools use the "genome size" for random expectation calculations, and different genome sizes give different output.
    Do you use the transcriptome size or genome size when trying to find significant peaks?
    Any other issues that should be taken care of?
    Thanks
    Mali

I am by no means the expert on this topic but I have been reading about it a little here and there the last few days. From what I have read, using a ChIP-seq data analysis pipeline results in the identification of many false positives. I haven't seen any well documented workflows but you may want to check out this thread:
    Discussion of next-gen sequencing related bioinformatics: resources, algorithms, open source efforts, etc
    --------------
    Ethan

Comment

Thanks ETHANol for your reply. Can you explain more why ChIP-seq pipeline is not suitable for RNA-based data, what is the reason for the high false-positive rate?
      I have RNA-IP sample and RNA-Input and would like to find enriched peaks. The idea is basically the same as with ChIP-seq.
      Mali

Comment

I wish I could give you an answer but at this point I would probably just be polluting the forum with half-truths. Hopefully, someone with more experience on the topic will chime in.
        --------------
        Ethan

Comment

We are interested in finding RNAs that interact with specific regions of chromatin. Do you know if there is a technique out there for this? Thanks.

Comment

a) either you have a protein specifically associating with these loci, then use an IP followed by RNASeq

b) otherwise the only regions in chromatin that can be purified so far (i know many people that tried others and failed) are telomers

c) or do you work in yeast? then there might be other options.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
            • seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses