Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The ^M would indicate you have a windows file on a linux system.
    Try dos2unix on the script and try again.

Comment

Using single-end reads

Hi,
      Is it possible to use the program with single-end reads? Specifically Pacbio reads.
      Thanks,
      Alastair

Comment

Hi boetsie,

I notice that GapFiller is introducing N's into my contigs where it previously has nucleotides. I've tried -t 0 but it still does not work. Any idea why this is and how this can be solved?

Thanks.
        mh

Correction: my bad, it's an actual gap. sorry about this.
        Last edited by mht; 03-26-2015, 08:02 PM.

Comment

IMAGE manual

Hello,
          Can anyone share your experience using IMAGE for gap closing. I could not get it run after a couple of hours try. I need you explain the options for IMAGE command line for me,
          Code:
          /absolute_path_of_image/image.pl -scaffolds scaffolds.fa -prefix 76bp -iteration 1 -all_iteration 10 -dir_prefix iter
          Particularly the -prefix option. From my understanding, it is the prefix of the paired end fastq file.
          1) Should the fastq file be in the current directory? which did not work in my case.
          2) What if the reads are fasta files which are used for my assembly?
          Try to find the manual by writing to the author/group, no response. Googled a while, no luck. Tried PAGIT which is now the bundle including IMAGE, no instruction either.

Thanks a lot!

YT

Comment

Originally posted by shuixia100 View Post
            I am having same problem. did you figure out how to fix it?
            You need to supply Gap Filler with a single FASTA (not multi-fasta) file. Thus, you need to submit a file like this:

>all_contigs_linked_with_N's
            ACGTACGT
            ACGTACGT
            ACNNNNN
            NNNNNNN
            NNNNN
            AC
            GTACGTA

and NOT:
            >contig1
            ACTGT
            >contig2
            ACGTGACT

Comment

You need to supply Gap Filler with a single FASTA (not multi-fasta) file. Thus, you need to submit a file like this:

>all_contigs_linked_with_N's
              ACGTACGT
              ACGTACGT
              ACNNNNN
              NNNNNNN
              NNNNN
              AC
              GTACGTA

and NOT:
              >contig1
              ACTGT
              >contig2
              ACGTGACT

Comment

Can GapFiller accept known repeats sequences?

Can GapFiller accept know repeats sequences in multifasta format, and use those to improve repeats resolution?:

1. First map the known repeats to the assembly.
                2. Avoid using reads anchored only in the repetitive region, and first rely only onto reads anchoring onto unique sequence flanking the repetitive regions.
                3. Do a mini assembly of the gap caused by the repeat, if unable to close the gap de novo - use the repeat sequence as a base for consensus and map the mates/de novo miniassembly contigs to it. Correct the consensus, where contigs are of a sufficient quality (>Q35?) and have no high quality unaligned portions to the repeat consensus.

PS: While the pilon is quite a good tool, it has problems when used in the iterative mode (like IMAGE), that areas extending into the repeats attract all reads from the other repeat copies during the next mapping step, stalling the repeat extension/gap closures for the robed repeat copies.

PPS: Getting a repeats library for PCR-free datasets: get the median coverage for the assembly, and do subsambling with low coverage assembly (2x-4x) in order to get the repetitive sequences (check contig coverage for that).

Comment

Does gapfiller create problems for downstream alignment

Hello,

I'm interested in using GapFiller, however I am wondering whether this might cause issues for downstream alignment. In particular, if the original assembly contigs comprise close to the entire genome, but they were not all able to be scaffolded, then will using GapFiller essentially cause these sequences to be duplicated in the final reference sequence? For instance if contig B was not able to be scaffolded between contig A and contig C, but paired reads can be used by GapFiller to fill in the sequence of contig B, this would mean that reads which originate from the sequence contained in contig B will map equivocally to both contig B and the scaffold in between contig A and contig C. Is this correct, and is not expected to create any problems such as genome inflation and equivocal mapping?

Jeff

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                  • seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                  0 responses