No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FastQ to aligned BAM file Question - Galaxy

Hi all,

I was wondering, how does bowtie fit in with tophat. What I have done so far is the following through Galaxy-Project.

1) Converted an NGS (RNA-Seq) SRA data to FASTQ file via DRA-SRA or through EBI's SRA to FASTQ converter.

2) Uploaded this FASTQ file onto Galaxy-Project

3) Used FASTQ Groomer

4) Then used FASTQ Groomed file from part 3 with Tophat to get the accepted hits bam file, etc

5) Now based on the workflow that I am following the methods goes back to Groomed FASTQ to do bowtie

but the tophat file and bowtie file never get worked together to make one bam file...

As my ultimate goal is get expression data via cufflinks, how do the two BAM files from bowtie and tophat get incorporated together?

I have been following this: https://main.g2.bx.psu.edu/u/fluidig...naseq-workflow

and

this https://main.g2.bx.psu.edu/u/jeremy/...lysis-exercise

The second one just uses tophat. But shouldn't we index the file via bowtie as well?

If we are just using Tophat, then what purpose does bowtie have then? Because I have read in journals that we should use bowtie and tophat together.

I am confused. If someone could kindly clarify this, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.

Zapages

FastQ to aligned BAM file Question - Galaxy

I had a look at the Galaxy workflows in your links, and I don't know why they use Bowtie and BWA as well as Tophat.

Bowtie and Tophat are always used together in that, when you run Tophat, it calls Bowtie.

Comment

Tophat is pretty much the Bowtie algorithm, but for RNA. It knows that the reads might be spliced, so you can give it a list of exon locations, to help it align reads that cross exons.

Comment

Originally posted by mastal View Post
        I had a look at the Galaxy workflows in your links, and I don't know why they use Bowtie and BWA as well as Tophat.

Bowtie and Tophat are always used together in that, when you run Tophat, it calls Bowtie.
        Originally posted by swbarnes2 View Post
        Tophat is pretty much the Bowtie algorithm, but for RNA. It knows that the reads might be spliced, so you can give it a list of exon locations, to help it align reads that cross exons.
        Thank you, that was really helpful. So in other words, Tophat is bascially Bowtie 2 for RNA data sets and it is able to see exon regions for RNA-Seq data.

Am I thinking correctly?

Comment

Tophat uses Bowtie/Bowtie2 for the alignments. It has additional steps to handle splicing, junction discovery, etc. In the Tophat pipeline, Bowtie is just one component so there is no need to do alignments separately with Bowtie. Just stick with Tophat for RNA-seq data and you will be fine.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
          • seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses