Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comparative Time Series Analysis of RNA-Seq data?

I need help with comparative time-series analysis of RNA-Seq Data. I have an untreated sample, then 3 treatments at day 3, the same 3 treatments at day 6 and then at day 9. I have tag-counts(generated from HT-Seq counts) for all of these samples across time. Could you please suggest some tools to get Differentially expressed genes. I do not wish to perform pair-wise comparisons.

Thank you so much

Ashu

DESeq(2), edgeR, limma/voom, etc. Anything that can handle GLMs will work.

Comment

Great, than you so much.

Could you or anybody explain this to me with an example? I am new to this and its tough to understand what functions/methods to use.

Originally posted by dpryan View Post
      DESeq(2), edgeR, limma/voom, etc. Anything that can handle GLMs will work.

Comment

I expect there's an example of this in one of the vignettes/user guides for a couple of the packages I listed. In general, you just want to fit your data with a GLM of the form "counts ~ time*treatment", assuming that there can be a meaningful time:treatment interaction in your experiment (otherwise, just exchange a plus sign for the asterisk).

Comment

The pdf(http://bioconductor.org/packages/rel.../doc/DESeq.pdf) from bioconductor does this ->
          > fit1 = fitNbinomGLMs( cdsFull, count ~ libType + condition )
          > fit0 = fitNbinomGLMs( cdsFull, count ~ libType )
          > pvalsGLM = nbinomGLMTest( fit1, fit0 )
          > padjGLM = p.adjust( pvalsGLM, method="BH" )

I dont understand what are they trying to do here. Below is what I tried with my data

>glm_design

samples libType time treatment

Samp_1 single-end d0 Untreated
          Samp_2 single-end d3 treatment1
          Samp_3 single-end d6 treatment1
          Samp_4 single-end d9 treatment1
          Samp_5 single-end d3 treatment2
          Samp_6 single-end d6 treatment2
          Samp_7 single-end d9 treatment2
          Samp_8 single-end d3 treatment3
          Samp_9 single-end d6 treatment3
          Samp_10 single-end d9 treatment3

glm_cds = newCountDataSet(combined_file , glm_design)

glm_cds = estimateSizeFactors(glm_cds)

# I dont have replicates
          glm_cds = estimateDispersions(glm_cds, method="blind", sharingMode="fit-only" )

fit1 = fitNbinomGLMs( glm_cds, count ~ time*treatment)

fit0 = fitNbinomGLMs( glm_cds, count ~ time)

pvalsGLM = nbinomGLMTest( fit1, fit0 )

padjGLM = p.adjust( pvalsGLM, method="BH" )

IS THIS WHAT I AM SUPPOSED TO DO?

unique(padjGLM)
          [1] 1 NA

padj values do not seem right??

I expect there's an example of this in one of the vignettes/user guides for a couple of the packages I listed. In general, you just want to fit your data with a GLM of the form "counts ~ time*treatment", assuming that there can be a meaningful time:treatment interaction in your experiment (otherwise, just exchange a plus sign for the asterisk).
          Last edited by ashuchawla; 07-23-2013, 10:13 AM.

Comment

# I dont have replicates
            glm_cds = estimateDispersions(glm_cds, method="blind", sharingMode="fit-only" )

fit1 = fitNbinomGLMs( glm_cds, count ~ time*treatment)
            fit0 = fitNbinomGLMs( glm_cds, count ~ time)
            Well, you sort of have replicates, just not full replicates. You might try the default dispersion method and see how well that fits. For fit0, try "fit- <- fitNbinomGLMs(glm_cds, count~time+time:treatment)". Otherwise, you getting output for things that can vary by both treatment and a time:treatment interaction, which you indicated not wanting.

BTW, an adjusted p-value of 1 is normal and to be expected. That all of them are 1 is too bad, though doing as I suggested above my change that. You can also try doing some independent filtering (see the genefilter package and the accompanying paper in PNAS), which might improve things further.

Comment

> glm_cds = estimateDispersions(glm_cds)
              Error in .local(object, ...) :
              None of your conditions is replicated. Use method='blind' to estimate across conditions, or 'pooled-CR', if you have crossed factors.

Well, you sort of have replicates, just not full replicates. You might try the default dispersion method and see how well that fits. For fit0, try "fit- <- fitNbinomGLMs(glm_cds, count~time+time:treatment)". Otherwise, you getting output for things that can vary by both treatment and a time:treatment interaction, which you indicated not wanting.

BTW, an adjusted p-value of 1 is normal and to be expected. That all of them are 1 is too bad, though doing as I suggested above my change that. You can also try doing some independent filtering (see the genefilter package and the accompanying paper in PNAS), which might improve things further.

Comment

Ah, right, you might try pooled-CR.

Comment

Thank you so much for your help.

This is what it tells me when I try pooled-CR

glm_cds = estimateDispersions(glm_cds, method="pooled-CR", sharingMode="fit-only" , modelFormula=count~time+time:treatment)
                  Error in FUN(newX[, i], ...) :
                  No residual degrees of freedom. Most likely the design is lacking sufficient replication.

Ah, right, you might try pooled-CR.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                  • seqadmin
                    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                  0 responses