No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paired end Illumina prep problems?

Hi people.

I was wondering if anybody had had any problems with the illumina protocol for making the libraries for paired end sequencing. We previously did some ChIP-seq before (not paired end) and the first time we ran into problems with primer dimers and had to lower primer and adapter concentrations.

This time we are sequencing DNA (not ChIPed), are there any similar common problems? And do you do the PCR enrichment, I hear some people are missing this out and getting good results?

Cheers, James

Hey James,

What is PCR enrichment? I have made many PE libraries and do not run into too many issues. I follow the illumina protocol. Have you tried making these libraries yet? How much DNA are you starting with?

Comment

Hi,

By PCR enrichment. I mean one of the last steps in the protocol where you do 10-12 PCR cycles. I just read the protocol in a bit more detail it seems it is actually essential for adding sequence on the end of the adaptors. Never mind.

I'm aiming to start the library prep with 5ug. Do you do the 10 cycles the protocol recommends?

Thanks, Just wanted to scope out see If there was anything in the protocol that everyone changes before starting. I haven't made these libraries yet.

Cheers, J

Comment

Okay...I get it.

Yes, I do this PCR...both to add the correct sequence for sequencing, and to ensure that you have library with correctly orientated adapters. I generally do 14 cycles, but this really depends on you. I have done up to 16 cycles. (I may have different applications though) The lower the better, I would imagine...less amplification = better diversity. Also, I have started using Ampure beads instead of column purifications...should give you more yield.

Good luck!

Comment

PCR free method

A method without the PCR step was published by Kozarewa et al in Nature Methods 6, 291 - 295 (2009). Link The different ends are inherent in the "Y" ligation, the solution PCR is only needed to get enough material to quantify before running. The authors get around that by quantitating using Q-PCR. It does require custom adapters that are longer than the commercial ones.

I was thinking of trying it- I am trying to get as accurate as possible reflection of the input. Its probably not a routine kind of thing one would want to do, unless there is some kind of specific need.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
          • seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses