No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• miRNA qPCR normalization by spike-in miRNA

Hi All,

There are some commonly used reference genes for normalization of miRNA qPCR, like 5S, 18S rRNA and U6 snRNA. But they might not be the right one in a specific tissue. So would spike-in miRNA perform better for normalization?

The aims for normalization of qRT-PCR is to normalize for fluctuations in input either quantitatively or qualitatively among others. If you are using a spike in miRNA you cannot control for this. Therefore it is not useful in my eyes.
    I would suggest to run a test with a subset of samples and 3-5 different housekeepers and then run algorithms like these here

to investigate the variance between samples. Then choose those with least variance between samples for that tissue.

Comment

Originally posted by DrOM View Post
      The aims for normalization of qRT-PCR is to normalize for fluctuations in input either quantitatively or qualitatively among others. If you are using a spike in miRNA you cannot control for this. Therefore it is not useful in my eyes.
      I would suggest to run a test with a subset of samples and 3-5 different housekeepers and then run algorithms like these here

to investigate the variance between samples. Then choose those with least variance between samples for that tissue.
      There are some studies which actually spike-in miRNA for normalization.
      eg. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...ijc.25376/full

I am a beginner, so could you point out the reason why this is not useful?

Comment

Originally posted by lran2008 View Post
        There are some studies which actually spike-in miRNA for normalization.
        eg. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...ijc.25376/full

I am a beginner, so could you point out the reason why this is not useful?
        In the quoted paper they use the spike in-controls (cel-miRNAs) to monitor for isolation efficiency of RNA from circulating tumor cells. Due to minute amounts they could not detect or measure the total RNA from these samples. So maybe you should first describe your experiment more thoroughly? If you want to detect miRNAs by qRT-PCR from total RNA, which concentration you can measure after isolation, spike-in controls do not make much sense, since isolation procedures are pretty standard for miRNAs including total RNA. One could use a miRNA, e.g. miR-16, to control if the method looses the miRNAs, but I surely would use cell lines for the establishment of this method in your lab.
        By the way I am not sure if this is the right forum for this question, or do you also plan to sequence miRNA libraries?
        Hope this helps
        Last edited by DrOM; 09-13-2013, 07:26 AM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses