No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tophat Error

Hello!

I have repeatedly experienced the same error when running tophat and despite trying to solve the problem have had no luck... The command line I use is located below:

./tophat --keep-tmp -G Homo_sapiens.GRCh37.66.gtf -p 8 -M -o /Users/jasonserviss/Desktop/Tophat\ results e66humanWP NG-6038_iPSD199_lib10333_1_sequence.fastq NG-6038_iPSD199_lib10333_2_sequence.fastq

And the error is listed here:

[2012-10-30 02:06:44] Building Bowtie index from Homo_sapiens.GRCh37.66.fa
    [2012-10-30 02:37:17] Mapping left_kept_reads to transcriptome Homo_sapiens.GRCh37.66 with Bowtie
    [2012-10-30 03:57:37] Mapping right_kept_reads to transcriptome Homo_sapiens.GRCh37.66 with Bowtie
    [2012-10-30 05:20:01] Resuming TopHat pipeline with unmapped reads
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "./tophat", line 4035, in <module>
    sys.exit(main())
    File "./tophat", line 4002, in main
    user_supplied_deletions)
    File "./tophat", line 3423, in spliced_alignment
    if not nonzeroFile(initial_reads[0]) and \
    File "./tophat", line 1119, in nonzeroFile
    samtools_view = subprocess.Popen(samtools_view_cmd, stdout=subprocess.PIPE)
    File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 672, in __init__
    errread, errwrite)
    File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 1202, in _execute_child
    raise child_exception
    OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

I have looked through the forum and found 2 suggestions, one stating that the subprocess.py file is missing and that is causing the error. So I checked and it seems as though the file is present in the directory. As well, another person suggested the this error occurs when Bowtie is not in the PATH but this doesn't seem to be the case since the mapping with bowtie completes successfully and bowtie, tophat, and samtools are all in the same location on my computer...

I would be really thankful for any advice that you could offer to help me solve this issue!!

Kind Regards,
    Jason

I'm not sure whats wrong but you could try a different approach... I personally use the iPlant collaborative cloud infrastructure http://www.iplantcollaborative.org/...

Simple go to their website setup an account, this will create a essentially limitless online data store where you can upload your data for safe keeping (fastq files i assume?). You can align your RNA fragments using a GUI they built which will complete relatively fast as all the processing occurs on their super computers. It works so you won't get the error message and they have a really responsive team of experts to help.

Alternatively you can also use the iPlant infrastructure to create a virtual machine, they have a long list to choose from, one of which already has NGS tools instralled and ready for use...

Comment

Thanks for your reply Richard! I'd like to try to work through the problem in my current system first and if I don't have any luck I may try your solution...

Maybe I should have mentioned in my first post...
      I am running mac OSx, tophat 2.0.5, bowtie 0.12.8, and samtools 0.1.18

Comment

Update

I can also add that I have now tried updating to Bowtie2 and Tophat 2.0.6 and get the exact same error. I also tried running with the "simple test data", provided at the Tophat website to no avail.

[2012-11-08 19:51:26] Beginning TopHat run (v2.0.5)
        -----------------------------------------------
        [2012-11-08 19:51:26] Checking for Bowtie
        Bowtie version: 2.0.0.7
        [2012-11-08 19:51:26] Checking for Samtools
        Samtools version: 0.1.18.0
        [2012-11-08 19:51:26] Checking for Bowtie index files
        [2012-11-08 19:51:26] Checking for reference FASTA file
        [2012-11-08 19:51:26] Generating SAM header for test_ref
        format: fastq
        quality scale: phred33 (default)
        [2012-11-08 19:51:26] Preparing reads
        left reads: min. length=75, max. length=75, 100 kept reads (0 discarded)
        right reads: min. length=75, max. length=75, 100 kept reads (0 discarded)
        sys.exit(main())
        user_supplied_deletions)
        File "./tophat", line 3470, in spliced_alignment
        if reads == None or not nonzeroFile(reads):
        File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/subprocess.py", line 623, in __init__
        errread, errwrite)
        File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/subprocess.py", line 1141, in _execute_child
        raise child_exception
        OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

Any help with figuring out what this error is indicating would be very appreciated!!!!

Comment

What version of OS X are you using? Did you get pre-compiled binaries or compiled the program yourself?

It also appears that you switched from Python v.2.7 to v.2.6 in the latest example.

Comment

GenoMax: No, I haven't updated it is just that I have tried to run both on my computer at work and my personal computer... thinking that maybe one or the other is missing something essential.

I believe the work computer is mac 10.6.8 whereas my personal computer is 10.7.5

With the latest tophat version (2.0.6) I used the pre-complied binary from the tophat website available at the link titled "Mac OS X x86_64 binary" and previously with tophat 2.0.5 I also used the pre-complied binary.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonServiss View Post

sys.exit(main())
              user_supplied_deletions)
              File "./tophat", line 3470, in spliced_alignment
              if reads == None or not nonzeroFile(reads):
              File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/subprocess.py", line 623, in __init__
              errread, errwrite)
              File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/subprocess.py", line 1141, in _execute_child
              raise child_exception
              OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory[/B]

Any help with figuring out what this error is indicating would be very appreciated!!!!
              This traceback seems to suggest a samtools related problem. I would suggest you to try to understand how samtools is invoked by tophat and try that by hand and check if all the related files are created by tophat before that step. It seems a 'samtools view' that fails for a missing file...

Comment

Originally posted by JasonServiss View Post
                GenoMax: No, I haven't updated it is just that I have tried to run both on my computer at work and my personal computer... thinking that maybe one or the other is missing something essential.

I believe the work computer is mac 10.6.8 whereas my personal computer is 10.7.5

With the latest tophat version (2.0.6) I used the pre-complied binary from the tophat website available at the link titled "Mac OS X x86_64 binary" and previously with tophat 2.0.5 I also used the pre-complied binary.
                I tested tophat (precompiled binary albeit with just the test data) on a Mac that is running 10.7.5 and encountered no problems.

As egrassi said in the post above this one can you verify that samtools executable is present in a directory that is in your PATH (or append the path variable so that it is e.g. PATH=$PATH:/path_to_samtools).

Also as indicated in the install instructions for tophat you will need to make sure that "libbam.a" and the "*.h" files for samtools are in the right directories (steps 6-8 in "installing SAM tools" section on tophat tutorial page http://tophat.cbcb.umd.edu/tutorial.html)

Comment

Success...?

So I think I found the problem.... When going back through the tophat installation process I noticed that Boost default installs to usr/local which, for some reason, I don't have on my mac (which probably means it never installed correctly and I didn't notice) I re-installed to an alternate location and ran the tophat test file and it ran ok so I will try the "real" run tonight and see how it goes...

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment and give me a hand with this!!!!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                  • seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                  0 responses