No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NUCmer

Dear reader,

The Bioinformatics branch is well known for its high speed of development. The founding of NUCmer has been some while now (I believe somewhere around the 1999s) That's why I was wondering whether the application isn't somewhat outdated. I made some attempts to find reviewing papers, with not much succes. Therefor I hereby make a request to inform me in this case according to your experiences.

Thank you
    Last edited by benjaminversteeg; 04-01-2014, 07:20 AM.

Not sure if I understand your question correctly. Here's my opinion on Mummer. It's not updated for a few years. However, I wouldn't call it outdated because many bioinformatians I know including myself are still using Mummer. It seems like there is no software out there that can replace all of its fuctions completely.

Comment

I second that. In fact, now that reads are getting longer, and assemblies more complete, the Mummer package is more popular than ever.

That doesn't mean there isn't room for a new program, for example one that outputs the currently popular formats (BAM, BED etc).

Comment

Originally posted by flxlex View Post
        That doesn't mean there isn't room for a new program, for example one that outputs the currently popular formats (BAM, BED etc).
        That would be very useful - any takers?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
          by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
          04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
        • seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Today, 08:47 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses