Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNU parallel - any benefits?

I wonder if anyone tried speeding up bioinformatics jobs with GNU parallel - any experience or just thoughts?

GNU parallel is brilliant for executing command line tools in a Unix/Linux setup with multiple servers/CPUs. It works very well with Biopieces. See the HowTo.

Comment

I use it all the time in place of xargs.

Comment

Yep, Biopieces is one example, although How To carefully says it can be used for some tasks. As examples for use of parallel do not include much of bioinformatic tasks, I wonder if there is some general idea(s) what tasks can benefit from parallel use. More specifically, could compute-intensive and long-running jobs like BLAST, alignment or de novo assembly benefit from parallel?

Comment

Parallel won't parallelize an intrinsically serial job, but very easily allows you to launch many serial jobs in parallel. I use it all the time to run an operation on lots of files by using something like, e.g.:

Code:
          find *.fq | parallel fastqc {} --outdir .  # run fastqc on all .fq files
          find *.bam | parallel samtools index {}    # index all bam files

Comment

This looks perfect. I've got my own homebrewed program I called "tetris" which does the same thing but I'll definitely switch to this.

Note the --max-procs parameter which throttles the serialized jobs to only use the specified amount of CPUs.

Anybody hooked this thing up to "gnu niceload"? Any examples?

Comment

Interesting. Little bit off the topic, but I encountered strange difference in CPU use with fastqc. I made a small script to process 10 files at once (the box has 2 quad core processors with multithreading enabled, that is 8 physical cores and 16 threads), like
              fastqc -t 10 [file1 ... file10]
              When I launched the script CPU(s) got only to something 26us% in top. But when I just copied the above task to the command line, CPU(s) jumped to something 85us% in top. What may be the reason for the difference? Did you notice something like that with parallel?

Comment

If used for research please remember:

Code:
                parallel --bibtex

Comment

@yaximik I see these major benefits of parallel: 1) use parallel instead of a for; do & done; loop to execute some command in parallel in a way that optimizes the CPU usage (parallel cleverly decides to wait for jobs to complete before starting new jobs without flooding the machine). 2) use the parallel --pipe to parallelize the processing of huge files. 3) combine 1) and 2). And then there are all the other things that parallel can do for you.
                  Last edited by maasha; 02-14-2013, 10:53 AM.

Comment

I have been using it for the past 6-8 months. I feel very happy when I am able to run my jobs using parallel, because just saves a hell lot of time. Actually it helps in best utilization of the computational facilities you have.

Here is an example of the time that I save normally:
                    If I have to convert around 8 sam files to bam files, say it generally takes 8min for one file conversion. In serial it would take 64min, but when I run on cluster using GNU parallel, it just takes ~8min.

Comment

Over at Biostars there is this tool description.

Comment

Originally posted by maasha View Post
                        Over at Biostars there is this tool description.
                        Oh, that is a cool set of examples. Tnx!

Comment

Another nice thing about parallel is that it makes it easy to generate filenames in an intelligent way. Say you want to convert a bunch of bam files to sam files, you can easily do:

parallel 'samtools view -h -o {.}.sam {}' ::: *.bam

which does exactly what you want, instead of potentially ending up with .bam.sam or the like. That's just a trivial example (and possibly not correct, I never exactly remember the syntax), and there's a lot more you can do with it.

Comment

I tried to run conversion between two assembly fomats using parallel and amos2ace, but got an error:
                            Code:
                            $ cat /home/yaximik/AssRefMap/SC/Ray/RayOutput/AMOS.afg | parallel --block 100M -k --pipe --recstart '{' --recend '}' amos2ace > /home/yaximik/AssRefMap/SC/Ray/RayOutput/AMOS.ace
                            substr outside of string at /usr/bin/parallel line 333.
                            Any idea what does this mean and how to fix the problem?

Comment

@yaximik

New questions in new threads. Do your homework first:

read this:

and then

man parallel

Notice the section:

Your bug report should always include:

· The error message you get (if any).

· The output of parallel --version. If you are not running
                              the latest released version you should specify why you
                              believe the problem is not fixed in that version.

· A complete example that others can run that shows the
                              problem. This should preferably be small and simple. A
                              combination of seq, cat, echo, and sleep can reproduce most
                              errors. If your example requires large files, see if you
                              can make them by something like seq 1000000 > file.

· The output of your example. If your problem is not easily
                              reproduced by others, the output might help them figure out
                              the problem.

If you suspect the error is dependent on your environment or
                              distribution, please see if you can reproduce the error on
                              one of these VirtualBox images:

Specifying the name of your distribution is not enough as you
                              may have installed software that is not in the VirtualBox
                              images.

If you cannot reproduce the error on any of the VirtualBox
                              images above, you should assume the debugging will be done
                              through you. That will put more burden on you and it is extra
                              important you give any information that help.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                              • seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                              0 responses