Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vv85 View Post
    another program for variant search is GATK but I don't think that is the problem. By the way, a quick inspection of the pileup file shows variants? are there any known variants that you could directly check in the pileup file?
    How do I find variants in the pileup file? (sorry I am new to the SNP business).
    Don't have SNP array or gDNA sequencing data for these samples unfortunately.

Comment

this is one of the lines in your pileup file:
      chr2 218208 G 30 ....................,......... +(+++)++++!#+++!+)+++!*****(#(

the 5th column with the dots and commas is the one of interest. Those are the "reads" that map to that position. What you are looking for is letters instead of dots and commas, those are "mismatches" to the reference and in theory your SNPs (of course , you have to have plenty of mismatches to the reference for it to be considered a variant).

Comment

30-40 million total (i.e. 15-20 million pairs) or 30-40 million pairs? So you are running this just on chr2? How many reads are in your input bam file? Are you sure you have enough coverage?

Comment

the 5th column with the dots and commas is the one of interest. Those are the "reads" that map to that position. What you are looking for is letters instead of dots and commas, those are "mismatches" to the reference and in theory your SNPs (of course , you have to have plenty of mismatches to the reference for it to be considered a variant).
          Ok, thanks, will look for letters there.

Comment

Originally posted by chadn737 View Post
            30-40 million total (i.e. 15-20 million pairs) or 30-40 million pairs? So you are running this just on chr2? How many reads are in your input bam file? Are you sure you have enough coverage?
            30-40M pairs. I was running this on the whole transcriptome, but it gave me segmentation fault (shared node on cluster, probably not enough resources), so I decided to run it per chromosome for several chromosomes.
            Typically I would have 2/3 mapped reads or so. The coverage should be enough, some genes have coverage of 100s and there should be at least one SNP in such genes. It is highly unlikely that the SNPs are in low coverage areas. Again -- this is RNAseq.

Comment

Those reads are rather poor quality. Maybe double-check the orignal fastq, to see that that the quality really is that bad.

Comment

Originally posted by lpn View Post
                I looked at the var.raw.bcf; seems too small (3k). The raw vcf can't be large either.
                Similar problem here.

I have tophat generated BAM files and samtools mpileup makes an empty vcf, just headers.

I think the problem is that the reference genome chromosome names are not matching. When I use a different reference genome, mpileup finds no matching reads and happily makes the empty VCF. When I use the reference I used with tophat, the bowtie NCBI37 has chromosome names like
                @SQ SN:gi|224384756|gb|CM000675.1| LN:115169878

and after much digging it seems that samtools mpileup fails to process a chr name with a | or a . character. They say the solution is to convert chr names down to something simple.

I don't have a good way to do that in a BAM file so we're not fixed yet.

Does that sound like the same problem?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                • seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                0 responses