Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cliffbeall View Post
    I am fairly sure fr-firststrand means read one (aka forward read or fr) corresponds to the reference genome sequence (firststrand). fr-secondstrand means read one corresponds to the reverse complement (secondstrand) of the reference genome. FR and RF would be a similar concept - but they are just making a shorthand where if the read one or forward read corresponds to the reference strand it maps to the left of the reverse read on a linear representation of the genome (FR) and if it corresponds to the reverse complement of the reference it maps to the right of the reverse (RF).

I hope that makes sense -- you might need to go back to DNA/genome structure and how Illumina works to really understand the above.
    I'm afraid that this is incorrect.

First 'fr' does not mean 'forward read'. What it means is the the two reads are arranged in the FR (Foward/Reverse) as opposed to the RF (Reverse/Forward) orientation. FR means that the read pairs are oriented with the 3' end point toward each other when aligned to the reference and RF means they are pointing away from each other.

Code:
    FR:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
       ----------------->                              <-------------------

RF:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
       <-----------------                               ------------------->
    Firststrand means that read #1 matches the first strand of cDNA generated during conversion of the single stranded mRNA to ds-cDNA. In other words the R1 is the reverse complement of the mRNA. Note that all of these reference landmarks are relative to transcript, not the genome. For Illumina strand specific, paired end mRNA-Seq reads the orientation of the reads relative to their original RNA is:

Code:
      mRNA 5'-----------------------------------------------------------AAAAAAAAAAAA
                       R2 ------------>                <------------ R1

Comment

Looks like Jim Robinson had it backwards for the color legends. Actually

red=positive,
      blue=negative

He has clarified here:

Comment

Originally posted by sowmyai View Post
        Looks like Jim Robinson had it backwards for the color legends. Actually

red=positive,
        blue=negative

He has clarified here:
        https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...lp/YiVzwnUuOZM
        I always thought that blue=positive and red=negative. See screen shots of my data in IGV.

I used Illumina dUTP-type stranded library prep and fr-firststrand with Tophat2. I find several places that say dUTP libraries should use fr-firststrand with Tophat, for example: http://onetipperday.sterding.com/201...pe-to-use.html

Is anyone able to clear this up?

Thanks
        Attached Files

Comment

Tablet has a "read concordance" mode for viewing strand direction on reads. Both pairs of reads that are consistent with a mapped direction following the reference sequence are coloured green (customisable), and reads that are consistent with the reverse complement of the reference sequence are coloured red.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
          • seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses